A Gentleman In Need

Start from the beginning

"My presence here is surely the first stepping stone," he stated, and both parents looked to him. Brenda nodded, and then Hershel continued. "Worry not, I shall bring back your son."

Brenda's face exploded with joy and relief, and she moved swiftly over to the Professor, pulling him up into a hug. After she let go, she took her seat once more, while Clark remained standing, his hand linked with hers.

"Do you know what has caused this?" Hershel inquired. "Have you uncovered anything?"

The Tritons looked at each other then and back to the Professor. Clark spoke, his voice trembling.

"We know he is bullied in school, though that is only one problem. I fear something deeper disturbs him."

"Have there been any attempts to stop the bullying?"

"Of course!" Brenda exclaimed. "We have spoken to the teacher and the principal, and action has been taken, but until today, Luke still remained distant."

Hershel scratched at his chin, and stood then, slowly beginning to circle the room. He noticed various oddities, souvenirs from odd places. He recalled that Brenda was a collector of such items.

"What is the nature of this bullying?"

"Well..." Brenda began. "Apparently, Luke claimed to be your apprentice, but no one believed him. They started to tease him... and then it got worse. Luke couldn't take it, and he even hit one student. We spoke to him about it, but he only said that he knew he had done the wrong thing, and he would try and do better. And that was it."

Hershel closed his eyes and sighed. Oh Luke, he thought sadly. Violence is never the answer.

"You said bullying was one issue?"

Clark cleared his throat and spoke, his voice hollow.

"Luke has always tried to follow in your footsteps. He has sought out his own adventures, but none of them ever really blossom into anything. I suspect after many failed attempts... and his poor behaviour at school, he... Well, he feels he has failed as a gentleman. That he has failed... you."

Hershel swallowed a little then, and grew concerned as Clark put his head into his hands, running them through his hair in frustration. When he looked back up at Hershel, it was with a look of grief.

"Oh I am so sorry, Professor. I must admit, the main reason we called you here is so you could help Luke, over just a friendly visit. We thought..."

Brenda continued for her husband, her other hand now joined with the others.

"We thought that you were the only person who could help him. It was just proved after what happened today. The way Luke lit up... It was as if seeing my son, my true son for the first time in months. That Luke: the lively, enthusiastic young man is my son."

Hershel smiled, surprising them both.

"Of course I would come to help. And I think the most important thing I can do is to assist Luke in this mystery of his. It must be quite the mystery indeed if he seemed fine enough to send me a letter."

"Yes!" Brenda exclaimed in delight. "The past week or so his mood has improved. He goes out more with his diary in hand, and with a determined look on his face. He even told us what mystery he was investigating last Sunday. That's when we made a grievous mistake."

Clark sighed, speaking now with the same hollowness.

"We told him it was too dangerous, to which he grew infuriated and he exclaimed that he could solve it. We didn't know what to do – I didn't know what to do, I should say. It was Brenda who had the brilliant idea."

Hershel raised an eyebrow at Brenda, whose looks of concern had now melted into a look of quiet glee, quite obviously proud of her idea.

"We realised we couldn't deter him from such an endeavour, but then I thought that such a case could be solved if he had the help of a certain puzzle-solving gentleman."

Hershel grinned, and tipped his hat slightly, his cheeks blushing.

"I suggested he write to you, and though he said you weren't likely to come, his eyes still lit up. Clearly, Luke needs you, Hershel. He looks up to you so."

"This adventure he has planned," Clark muttered, still a severity in his eyes. "I wouldn't even trust the police to solve, but you... You've proved yourself on more than enough occasions. And you've kept my son safe all these years. Together, you can certainly get to the bottom of this."

"I thank you both for your faith in me, and as I promised you at the start... I shall always do my best to keep Luke safe. That is my word."

The three embraced then, and when they broke apart, Hershel maintained a firm smile.

"I suppose I better find out exactly what this mystery is."

"You mean," Brenda said with a confused brow. "That you haven't read the second letter that contains the details?"

"I had meant to, but when we planned all this, I thought it was best the details came from Luke's own mouth."

"Oh, well it is certainly an adventure full of villains, excitement and danger."

"Villains excitement and a good dose of danger? That is an adventure for me, certainly."