2 | 𝐀𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐨, 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐟𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐚 𝐥𝐚𝐦𝐛...

Your miseries will lead you to great discoveries.

- A. Abraham

PENELOPE'S DROWSY EYES STARED UP AT THE NEON SIGN HANGING ABOVE HER HEAD.

       The fluorescent lettering burned itself into the deepest parts of her clouded mind, like a distant memory that was desperate to be remembered. The fog that hung over her seemed to thicken with each passing second, and those once vibrant hazel eyes tried to blink it away. Perhaps it was the painkillers she swallowed before boarding that excruciatingly boring flight, or the ones she popped while sitting in Los Angeles traffic for an hour and a half. Whatever it was, Penelope couldn't wait to collapse on a soft surface and rest until it disappeared.

       She heard the sound of excited squeals, and glanced over her shoulder, those unfocused orbs landing on the practically bouncing figures of her traveling companions. Lily Sommers, the master mind behind the spur of the moment trip they were on, appeared at Penelope's side with a grin that resembled the Cheshire Cat's. The other girl, who had a boarder lining friendship with Penelope ever since elementary school, was named Darcy Hanley.

       Both, Lily and Darcy, were filled with enough enthusiasm to fill an entire football stadium as they entered the lobby, while the brunette of the group only had a mild interest. The strap of Penelope's heavy duffle bag dug into her shoulder, and the stinging sensation reminded her of the aching in her chest. Her slender fingers went to her neck, fiddling with the thin silver chain that hung there. It was a type of safety line that was able to keep the dangerous thoughts from reeking havoc in her tender brain.

       "Isn't it beautiful?" Darcy gushed with her hands clasped together. "Oh, look at those light fixtures! Aren't they just to die for?"

        That's one way to put it, Penelope thought, that familiar frown finding its way back onto her soft features. The decor of the hotel was extremely dated, so much that she wondered if they had time traveled into a different era. But, there was something else. Something - sinister.

       But, Penelope was yanked back into reality by the sound of her name being called. She flinched when she felt a hand on her shoulder, and spun around to see Lily, who had been calling out to her, looking at her concerned. Lily's sparkling hazel eyes reminded Penelope of the way someone else's used to shine almost too brightly, "Are you feeling alright, Penny?"

       "I'm fine," Penelope stiffly nodded after flinching, again, at the sound of her nickname. She gave her friends, as well as the frail looking receptionist, a tight lipped smile, "Just tired from the plane ride, that's all."

       Lily nodded, though she could see through the barely believable smile, "Well, we're almost finished checking in, but you need to sign your name, too."

       Penelope moved to the front desk and dropped her duffle bag by her feet, ignoring the rattling pills in their containers. The receptionist, Iris, eyed the tall beauty as she pushed her dark hair back, tucking the shorter locks behind her ear. It was obvious that it had been recently cut, seeing as the ends were even and rid of natural split ends. Her almond shaped eyes and perfectly symmetrical features was what made her stand out from her friends.

       Iris sighed to herself, thinking, she's too pretty for this place.

       "Where do I sign?" Penelope quietly asked, her eyes fluttering from the haze still covering her. It was obvious she had ingested some type of narcotic, and Iris had a feeling that it kept her from tearing at the seams.