Thea

The content of this chapter might gross you out a little. I had to add a little bit of animated gore. Just a little, though. No extremes.

(The attachment at the top is the pendant that Kirito gave Asuna. Instead of a chain, It is on a thick blue ribbon, though. ;))

Asuna sat on the floor of the dungeon with Thea in front of her. Now that Asuna could see her up close, Thea was thin and frail. Her arms were weak and her hands shook. Her shirt was hanging off of her and her shorts were kept up with a rope. Her bare feet were small and looked almost more like claws. She had no meat on her bones. Asuna looked into Thea's face. Her eyes were sunken in and her cheek bones cast shadows on her jaw.

"Are you hungry? You look like you haven't eaten in weeks.", Asuna said. Thea nodded sheepishly. She folded her little hands in her lap. Asuna pulled up her items dock and selected her packed lunch. Asuna held it out to Thea, who accepted it a little shyly. Asuna gave her an encouraging smile, urging her to eat. 

Thea unwrapped the sandwich and began devouring it hungrily. Asuna smiled. She looked malnourished and gaunt. Asuna's heart went out to Thea. She looked like she had been through a lot, but even after all of that, the little thing helped them so much during the battle with the door guardian. 

Thea finished the sandwich quickly and moved on to the rice cakes. She seemed to really enjoy those. She tore at them with her little fingers, shoving them into her mouth like she hadn't eaten in so long that she had almost forgotten how.

Thea finished the food and gave Asuna a bow, which she returned. Thea looked a little better. She had a new light in her eyes. She seemed ready to answer Asuna's questions. Asuna shifted off of her knees and sat with her legs beside her. Her legs had begun to fall asleep underneath her. 

"Do you mind if I ask you a few things, now?", Asuna asked sweetly. She waited for Thea's nod and then continued slowly. 

"Do you know what's behind the door?", she asked. The little girl nodded and then reached for Asuna's hand. Asuna held it out for her to take. The minute she touched Thea, visions popped into her head. Asuna saw a huge dragon sleeping atop a mountain of treasure. Asuna jumped at the surprise of suddenly being in a room with a dragon. When she jumped, Thea let go of her hand and pulled back. 

Asuna was back and had realized what happened. She softened and tried again.

"I'm sorry. It was just surprising. I didn't mean to scare you. Please don't be afraid.", she coaxed. Thea reached for Asuna's hand again. This time, she was ready for it. Asuna saw the dragon again.  Thea seemed to know exactly what Asuna was going to ask. The dragon spoke this time, but it didn't seem to be speaking directly to her. It seemed to be speaking to somebody else in the room. Thea. 

"What do you want this time, you stupid girl. I've told you not to disturb me when I am sleeping! I should smelt you for this. What?!", it yelled. Thea had not moved from in front of Asuna, but yet there was another Thea standing up facing the dragon. The other Thea spoke now. 

"I was just wondering when I could eat. I haven't had anything to eat all week. I'm hungry, Daddy.", she said. There were tears forming in Thea's eyes. 

"YOU DISTURBED MY SLEEP JUST FOR FOOD? AFTER ALL I'VE DONE FOR YOU! I TOOK YOU IN OFF OF THE STREETS AND RAISED YOU AS IF YOU WERE MY OWN! I HAVE MADE YOU THE PRINCESS UNDER THE MOUNTAIN! YOU DARE COME TO ME ASKING ME FOR A SILLY THING LIKE FOOD! AWAY WITH YOU! BEGONE! I WANT NOTHING MORE TO DO WITH A SELFISH AND UNGRATEFUL BRAT LIKE YOU! I SHOULD THROW YOU OUT! THE FIRST WARRIOR THAT GETS IN HERE CAN HAVE YOU FOR ALL I CARE! YOU DON'T EVEN SAY THANK YOU FOR ALL THE WORK I'VE PUT INTO RAISING YOU! WHEN I FOUND YOU, YOU WERE STILL AN INFANT! GET OUT OF MY SIGHT AND NEVER SET FOOT IN HERE AGAIN, OR IT WILL BE THE LAST THING YOU EVER DO!", the dragon bellowed. The tears in Thea's eyes had long since started flowing. She ran from the hall and went through the large double doors that held the dragon.