Chp 17

Kestra

It's been two weeks since Jamarcus attacked me in my house and the police are still searching for him. Devan had practically been living at my house stating he wanted to protect me.

I can't complain though. Devan has been very attentive to my needs and treats me like a queen. It feels good to be spoiled from head to toe. Thankfully all the bruises and cuts have healed. But, Devan is a bit too overprotective, which is starting to annoy me.

Kestephan is creeping on the ground while I am reading a romance novel when Devan walks into the hall.

"Hey, babe." Devan gave me a light kiss.

"Hey, Devan."

"How are you today princess?" I rolled my eyes. I haven't been out of the house in weeks.

"I want to go out. I need fresh air like everybody else. I feel like I'm in prison." It's suffocating being locked up in your own house.

"Very well. I'll take you out tonight. Just me and you." Wow. He gave in, I was ready to debate.

"Thank you, Devan." I gave him a full kiss to show my appreciation.

At The Sahara Restaurant, we ordered chicken gyro with natural lime juice. The food was delicious while we talked about random things. After the dishes were cleared off the table, a slice of dark chocolate cake covered with chocolate frosting and whip cream was set in front of me.

"I ordered the cake just for you, my queen. It looks as good as you taste." Devan said looking at me intently. Thankfully my dark skin is hiding my blushing.

"Thanks. You want to share it with me?" I asked, I'm full, so I won't be able to eat the whole thing.

"No. Just enjoy princess." No problem, more chocolate for me. I took the first bite and the chocolate was divine. As I was about to take a second bite my fork hit something solid, as I took it out it was an engagement ring. I looked at Devan, who was already on one knee.

"Kestra Augustine, will you allow me to make you feel alive and treat you like a queen for the rest of your life? Will you marry me and be my wife?"

"Yes. Yes. Yes." I didn't have second thoughts. Devan has been nothing but good to me even with the ghost of my past. Devan wiped the ring with a napkin then he slipped it on my finger. I can't believe it, I'm going to be Devan's wife. I know I deserve to be happy, but why do I have the feeling that something bad is bound to happen?