Charlie’s face was dark, and when he spoke, his voice was so bitter that it startled me. “Why did you let her come that far?” he snapped. “What were you thinking?”

            “We all came that far,” Pierre said, trying to keep the irritation out of his voice as he braced Astrid’s head. “And she wanted to, she…” He trailed off.

            “If it’s anyone’s fault, it’s mine,” I said tersely, giving them both a look. “I don’t know what you put in those things, Charlie, but they’re lethal.” The faintest flicker of a smile passed over his face, and I turned towards the trees. I could see more men coming, which meant more weapons, and we were far outnumbered as it was. “Come on, move!” I urged, springing forward to the car.

            Yanking open the back door, I gestured for Charlie to put Astrid down on the seat, which he did with a little difficulty. Climbing in after her, he settled her head on his lap as he sank back against the seat. I walked around to the shotgun side, sliding in and reaching across to place the key in the ignition because Pierre was still standing outside the open back door.

            “You’re coming with us?” he said to Charlie with a slight frown. “Young didn’t say anything…”

            “I’m coming.” Charlie’s voice was sharp. “Now get in the car so we can get out of here.”

            Pierre, looking annoyed, slammed the door and entered the driver’s side, muttering under his breath, “Who does this guy think he is, anyway?” If I hadn’t been so tense, I might have smiled. But the men were drawing nearer and nearer, so I gave Pierre a punch on the arm and told him to get a move on instead. With another annoyed look sent at me, he swiveled the steering wheel, floored the gas pedal, and began to move out of that area.

            I twisted in my seat, meeting Charlie’s worried grey eyes as he rested a hand on Astrid’s chest, feeling for a pulse. Pierre’s stature screamed “tense” as he swerved wildly onto the road and continued roaring at thirty miles over the speed limit. I told him to edge up a bit, but he ignored me, his eyes constantly flicking to the rearview mirror.

            “She’s alive,” Charlie said suddenly, and there was the sound of several sighs of relief. “Of course, I didn’t think she was…you know.” He shrugged. “You can sort of tell when you’re carrying someone.”

            “Couldn’t have told us that, could you?” Pierre snarled, and I shot him an exasperated look as Charlie’s face darkened. The two of them, while they didn’t know each other that well, were never on very good terms. I was pretty sure it had something to do with Astrid, because although she considered Charlie as her best friend with me, he didn’t always feel the same way.

            Charlie looked like he wanted to say something else, but all he said was, “I don’t understand, though. There’s hardly any blood, though he shot her twice.”

            Raising an eyebrow, I studied her pale face. Her mouth was slightly open, her dark braid coming over her shoulder. As if wakened by my glance, her eyes fluttered open, looking around in mild confusion. Exhaling in relief, I placed a hand on her forehead, turning her eyes in my direction. “You okay?”