Bohemian Rhapsody-Queen

"Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? Caught in a land slide, no escape from reality. Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see. I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy because I'm easy come, easy go."

I'm standing in a giant, empty field. It's warm and the wind is blowing softly through the tall grass. I turn around and see a little girl sitting off in the distance. She looks like she might be crying, but her back is facing me, so I can't really tell. I try running to her, but I'm not getting anywhere. My feet are moving, I'm running as fast as I can, but I'm not getting any closer to her.

I try crawling to her, but nothing I try works. The sky suddenly gets really dark, like the color of slate, and puffy, dark clouds roll in. The wind picks up quickly and blows my jacket and my hair back. My hair gets in my eyes and I struggle against the wind to remove it.

All of a sudden, the clouds open up and it starts pouring. The wind is blowing even faster now, making the rain hit my face harder. It hurts and it's cold, but I don't care. For some reason, my only objective is to get to the girl.

I try running to her again, but I slip on the wet grass. I fall on my stomach, knocking the wind out of me. I try regaining my breath, but my lungs start filling up with rain water. I cough and choke, struggling to breathe again. I'm drowning on land. I keep trying to run to the girl, but I still can't get to her. I try calling to her, but the wind is so strong that she wouldn't be able to hear me.

She stands up and faces me. She starts speaking, but I can't hear her. She seems completely unaffected by the weather. The rain soaks her dress,and the wind whips at her hair, but she stands completely still. She starts yelling now. I can make out the words "you", "need", and "done", but that's about it. The ground below her starts growing. There's a hill from where I am to where she is, but if she stepped backwards, she would fall off a cliff.

Rain water from up top pours down the ginormous hill and floods the field I'm stuck in. I've managed to cough up all the water in my lungs and I can breathe a little easier. I'm completely soaked now. My shirt is sticking to me and my jeans are chaffing my legs. I'm freezing cold and in pain, but I still need to get to her. I don't even recognize her, but she seems so familiar. I rack my brain for a name, but nothing comes to mind. She's still yelling, but I don't hear any sounds coming out of her mouth.

I decide trying to run to her again. Finally, I move. I try running as fast as I can, but I don't get very far. Oh well, it's better than nothing. It takes me forever to run up the hill, but I do get there. I collapse on my knees before her. I look up at her, finally recognizing who she is. It's my mother, but as a child. I recognize her from old family picture albums. She's about 8 years old here.

"Mom? What are you doing?" I ask her, finally close enough to hear her if she spoke.

She takes my face in her hands and says, "You need to pay for what you've done." Her pupils grow to the size of her entire eyeball, turning them pitch black. There's no reflection of light. Her eyes don't look wet like normal ones do, they're just empty.

"What does that mean?" I stand up and grab her arms at her sides. "Mom, what are you talking about?"

"Dan! Dan!" She yells over and over again. She wriggles free of my grasp and takes a step back. I take a step closer to her. She takes another step back until she's right at the edge of the cliff.

"Don't move!" I take a step closer, and she steps off the cliff. I reach for her, but I'm not quick enough. She screams my name on her way down. I hear a thud as she hits the bottom. As soon as she does, the rain stops. The wind slows down, and the sky brightens. Everything looks like it did before. I'm sure she's dead now, it was a big drop. I peak over the side of the cliff to see if I can see her. Nothing's there. No body, no blood, nothing.

I turn around to see if she might be behind me, but there's no one there. I turn back around to see that the cliff is gone. Everything looks like it did in the beginning. My clothes and my hair are dry, and my chest feels fine. It's like nothing ever happened.

I hear her calling my name again. "Dan! Dan! Dan! Wake up!" But it doesn't sound like she's here with me. It sounds like she's in my head. Then it turns all black. I hear Phil calling me and I feel him shaking me.

"Dan! Wake up!" I jolt awake. I'm covered in sweat and I'm all shaky.

"What? What happened?" I ask him. He looks scared.

"You were having a nightmare. You were shaking and screaming. It was terrifying. I tried shaking you awake for like five minutes, but you wouldn't wake up. What were you dreaming about?" He puts his hand on my back and rubs it to try and make me feel better. I'm still breathing shakily and I can't calm down. The words keep running through my head, "You need to pay for what you've done."

"Um, nothing. It's just a generic nightmare. Don't worry. I'm fine."