chapter 1

they were having the time of their lives at the private island cordelia gave to them as a wedding gift. zoe and kyle had just finished eating dinner on the grand patio when the newly-weded wife decided to take a walk down the shoreline.

the sand was warm on their feet as they walked, talking about the best moments of their lives.

"i can't believe you did it," kyle smiled at zoe with so much pride in his eyes.

"would do anything for you. even if it would cost me my life." zoe nuzzled on his chest as a chilly wind passed by them.

"it's getting darker. we should probably head back." zoe nodded and soon the hotel room greeted them with warmth and extravagance.

"cordelia underestimated this place." zoe's eyes wandered around the place. from the crystallized chandelier to the king size bed surrounded by roses.

kyle wrapped his arms around her waist and she jumped from the sudden contact and giggled. zoe turned around to face him and studied his face. she studied how his dark eyes standout because of his dirty blonde hair. zoe teased him about that a lot. their nose touched and soon their lips collided softly.

they were walking towards the bed and fell on it. it was quiet first, but then zoe bursted out laughing and soon kyle's laughter followed hers.

"i can't lose you again. it was torture holding your cold hands." kyle teased and laughed, while zoe tried to hide her fondness for him by hitting his arm softly.

"well, i can't have you switching to your zombiefied self again," she huffed playfully and plastered a pout on her lips.

"it won't happen again. not after tonight." kyle smirked and reached for the lights.

when he turned the lights on the nightstands off, the room became dark and hot and filled with sounds that are so pleasant on their ears.

|||

ringing

that's all he ever heard since he regained consciousness. he could feel something beneath him, moist and wet.

"sir," a voice called out. "sir, are you alright?"

kyle slowly lifted his gaze to where the voice is coming from and he tried to focus on the face.

"what-" he croaked. "what happened? where am i?" kyle looked around the foreign place, so much debris and burning bodies everywhere.

"go call for back up. we have a survivor here and i'm afraid the impact of the crash had severely affected his brain. sir - please stop moving your head." kyle became frantic then. he's supposed to be on his way home, with his wife..

zoe...

"where's my wife? where is she? what happened to her?" tears streamed freely down his cheeks when the guy in the blue robe continued talking on his little phone and bluntly ignoring his questions.

before his eyes fluttered close, he whispered her name quietly. "zoe..."

|||

"we flew here as soon as we heard the news. are we able to see him now? no - no, i'm not his mother. i'm not his relative in general. what do you mean i can't go and see him?"

the doors swung open and kyle was shaken out of his thoughts.

"kyle. kyle, oh my god, what happened?" cordelia rushed to his side and took the chair. the others soon followed in, except madison. she wasn't there. it wasn't a surprise to him, though, because she couldn't care less about him or zoe.

"the plane. i remember saying goodnight to zoe a few hours before," his throat closed shut and cordelia comforted him by putting her hand on top of his and gave him a squeeze of reassurance.

a nurse excused herself between cordelia and kyle's hands and checked his monitor, scribbling data on her clipboard. everyone was silent, except for the scratching sounds the nurse was producing.

after she was done, the nurse excused herself out of the room and then everyone's eyes landed on kyle once more.

"you should take some rest. we'll talk about it once you're ready." kyle bit his lips, stopping the warm tears from flowing, and nodded his approval.

outside the doors, the doctors greeted the group of witches.

"now that we know mr. spencer has no parents we're able to reach at this moment, we're assigning you to sign his medical papers." dr. martin said.

cordelia nodded and asked for the girls under her wing to wait for her down at the lobby.

"according to the data we have collected so far, mr. spencer doesn't have any major injuries at this moment. just a fractured ankle. though he lost a lot of blood from hitting his head from some debris when they made landfall on a city south of london." cordelia nodded, taking in the information and trying to find questions to ask later.

"he has to stay here for quite a while since we don't know if something worse is going to happen to him that only needs a little bit of triggering." cordelia uneasily shifted from one foot to another as the gaze of the doctor became grave.

"as for his wife i - we found several burnt bodies with rings on their fingers. i know this might sound impossible, but investigators theorized that his wife might not be one of them." cordelia gasped and her hand shot straight up, covering her mouth and looking sideways trying to avoid the doctor's gaze. "most of the bodies are nowhere near mr. spencer. so unless we have dna samples from his wife, we wouldn't be able to justify or deny it."

|||

A/N: 23 more days until reign comes back and i'll post a chapter everyday :)

anyway, can you believe christmas is only a week away from today??? 😳

12/18/2015

- lani