Chapter 5

-

Dan certainly isn't looking forward to sleeping over at Phil's house.

It seems as though Phil is trying to spend every minute possible with Dan, and that's not an unlikely thing. Phil's obviously determined to win this bet, and Dan is determined to make Phil lose.

It would probably be a lot easier if he could say he definitely wasn't falling for Phil, but the problem there was that he wasn't sure.

He definitely can't pinpoint what he even likes about Phil, probably because he hates nearly everything about him. At least, he thought he did. Now he's confused and doesn't understand his feelings at all. And being someone who usually had every idea what was going on, Dan hated not understanding.

Phil probably didn't have much going for him. Dan usually isn't attracted to popular boys who slept with people every chance they get and prided themselves on getting in trouble as often as they did. Usually, Dan steered clear of anyone of that type. And maybe Dan thinks deep down that there's a possibility that Phil's not as bad as everyone thinks because there's another side to him. Of course, the logical side of Dan sees how unlikely that is. Phil's just doing everything to keep up his reputation.

If it weren't for his reputation, would he be the same? Dan wonders.

He still tries to promise to himself again that above all, he won't sleep with Phil. That would be the worst thing in this scenario. Phil would win the bet, Phil would get the pride of knowing he'd gotten Dan into bed, and Dan would be stuck alone and miserable. It's not like Phil would stick around after he'd gotten what he'd wanted. He'd just rush off and find another boy or girl to fuck.

Dan gets everything ready for that night, trying to distract himself from the thought of Phil, but Dan knows that if he pushes the thought away, it's just going to come back a bit later even stronger. He finds himself looking in the mirror a lot more than usual, making sure he looks alright. He knows he's trying to make himself look good for Phil, but doesn't know why, and certainly wouldn't admit it to even himself that he's doing so.

He puts on a button up shirt like every other day, along with black skinny jeans that he already knows Phil will probably make a comment about. He spends a lot longer than usual making sure his hair is straightened properly and he looks alright.

Dan hesitates a bit before actually going outside, walking to Phil's house and ringing the doorbell once again. His mum answers this time, and his first thought is wondering whether or not she knows about how Phil is in school.

"Hello, Mrs. Lester. I'm friends with Phil. We're working on a project together. I was here the other day." Dan tries to manage a charming smile, and it's not hard. He has a tendency to make adults like him. Perfect grades and a good boy is mostly all they look for. But still, he struggles getting the word 'friends' out. It sounds wrong in a sentence with 'Phil.'

Phil walks down just a moment later, rushing down the stairs. "Oh, sorry, I didn't know what time you were coming. Come in." Phil smiles sweetly, and it's all so sugar-coated and fake for his mother, and Dan knows it. He feels bad for he poor woman- Alway having to deal with Phil's shit.

Phil takes his wrist and drags him upstairs, back into the room he'd been in the day before. Dan still isn't over how not Phil-like this room was.

"Do you want a beer or anything?" Phil asks. He still hasn't tried to pull anything on Dan yet, but Dan's sure it'll only be a while before he does.

"No," Dan answers as Phil grabs a beer off his desk and pops it open. It's still cold, so he obviously hasn't had it out here too long. Dan wonders if his mum knows about him having it, or if she cares.