I. Chapter 29 | Part 2 - Stone

Start from the beginning

He brushed his lips lightly against hers. Even after everything she had said, he could sense her hesitation. And while he didn't know if it was because of him and what he was or because of Dan, he didn't want to press her. He wanted to enjoy the moment. Feel the softness of her lips on his as he caressed them.

It was bittersweet. He could feel the lingering pain of her heartache on her lips when all he wanted to do was take that pain away.

She still loved Dan. That much was clear.

Despite that, he could feel the budding flower of her feelings towards him beginning to grow. It had already taken root, pushing against her barriers, and now it had broken through the surface.

Indeed, there was no going back.

She wrapped her arms around his neck before she pulled away.

He coaxed her head to rest against his shoulder before he scooped her up in both arms and carried her into the living room and sat down on one of the plush leather chairs. Cradling her on his lap, he rested his hand behind her head and held her closer to his heart. He closed his eyes, relishing in the moment as his warmth and steady heartbeat lulled her.

He wanted to hold her like this forever.

Brushing his fingers through her damp hair again, he kissed the top of her head as a sigh of contentment left her lungs.

"I accept you," he said. "However, you must do one thing for me before we can be together."

She stiffened, and he rubbed the small of her back until she relaxed before he continued.

"I need you to break up with Dan."

"I know," she said, her head and body still curled up against his chest.

"You will return to the city with Gwen. She will stay with you and Dan until you have made your peace with him. Tell him as much of the truth as you can, but you must not tell him about what we are and about the vampires. Our lives depend on secrecy. If he loves you, he will accept your reasons for leaving him because he will want you to be happy."

She nodded, but said nothing.

"Aubree," he said, his tone more gentle as he drew her chin up so their eyes met. "Take as much time as you need."

Her eyes pooled with tears as he kissed her forehead.

He drew her head back against his heart and closed his eyes as her salty tears slid silently down her cheeks.

It would be hard, he knew, but she had to do it. He would give her as much space and time as she needed. He knew he couldn't rush her. This was something she had to do on her own.

She needed to free her heart from Dan before she could ever be ready to love him.

Truth was, he needed some time as well. Even though he was sure that Aubree was the reincarnation of Adelaide, he still loved Adelaide deeply. He still mourned her. He still wasn't ready to give Aubree the love she deserved from her mate.

Kissing the top of her head, he silently vowed to do whatever it took to protect her and make her short life with him as memorable and happy as it could be.

He owed her that much.

He knew there would be many risks and even more challenges to come, but if she was willing to go through it all with him, then he could handle it.

She was his soulmate, and he was never going to give up on that again.

In a soft, husky voice, he whispered the words:

"Dû bist mîn, ich bin dîn:
des solt dû gewis sîn.
Dû bist beslozzen
in mînem herzen.
Verlorn ist das slüzzelîn:
dû muost immer drinne sîn."

You are mine, I am yours,
Thereof you may be certain.
You're locked away
within my heart.
Lost is the key
And you must ever be therein.

---- Author's Note: ----

Finally, these two are moving forward together, but Aubree has Dan business to attend to first...

Things will be far from easy for these two...

Ready for the emotional rollercoast ahead?

Dedicated to Render_me_speechless 

*Copyright Jo Lee Hunt (Joflower) 2015*