Down The Hole

Comment and vote pls:) 

An hour had passed and everyone was becoming impatient with the staff at Huntington Memorial. No type of doctor or nurse would come out. As concerned friends, we'd ask how he was doing only to have the receptionist tell us, "There's a full house tonight." It enraged me and everyone else.

I hunched over the chair, thinking about everything that was happening. I couldn't think of what would happen if we lost him. 

We can't lose Brian. I've heard horror stories about alcohol poisoning and might I add, they don't end in taking someone home, but to a morgue. I couldn't fathom why this was happening. 

"The family of Brian Haner?" At the sound of his name, every single one of us stood up. The doctor looked quite shocked walking into the waiting room, "I'm going to assume you're not all family." 

"They are." Brian's dad said, "We're all his family. I'm his father. These are his brothers and this is my wife and his younger sister." 

The doctor bowed his head excusing his assumptions, "My apologies. Since you're all family, I came with an update. I'm sorry it's taken so long to give you any type of news. We've had two deaths in the past hour. It's not pretty back there." My stomach turned thinking one could be Brian. 

"Brian is doing fine now. He suffered from alcohol poisoning. He's on a drip to rehydrate. We pumped out his stomach. He's getting his color back slowly. He's still very weak." 

"Oh thank God." I heard Suzy cry into Mr. Haner's shoulder. 

"Who found him unconscious?" Johnny and I raised our hands in sync. "May I ask, what did you find? What did he drink?" 

"Everclear and Cazadores. About three bottles total. There was vomit everywhere." 

The doctor nodded, "Of course. Well once he's in a better state, it's protocol to give him a lecture on this. Everclear has over ninety percent alcohol. Not a very good idea or combination. As far as visiting him going, he's still a little out of it but you can visit him now. Two people at a time until we move him to a room over night. He should be going home by tomorrow."  

"Thank you Doctor." Matt thanked as the doctor stepped away from us and made his way back thru the double doors. "So who's going in?" 

"Well, I don't want  McKenna to see Brian like this. I mean now that we know he's fine, maybe you should go home. It's getting late and you have homework." Mr. Haner informed her. 

She seemed a little bummed. 

"C'mon, I'll take you home Kens." Valary said throwing her arm over McKenna's shoulder. "We can go eat something, yeah?" 

"I guess." McKenna spoke in a dull voice. "See you guys later and tell Brian I love him." 

Mr. Haner gave her a kiss on the head then sent them on their way. "So I guess I'll go in. Anyone want to come?" No one answered. If we all can't go in together, no one goes in. "Zacky, c'mon. You were pretty worried and a wreck when I got here. Let's go check up on him." 

I hesitated to go but Matt's nod assured me that it would be okay. Everyone else sat back down and suddenly the atmosphere was better. It wasn't dark and depressing compared to moments ago.

We made our way to the room in the far corner where Brian was being held at. His dad knocked on the metal door frame, gaining Brian's attention. He looked so much better. I was seriously about to shit rainbows. However, his eyes were drooping and the oxygen mask made the situation look worse. 

"Hey brother." I said, seeing a weak smile grow on his face. 

"Hi." He replied in a sore, faint voice.