Chapter 9

My therapist was so happy for me when I told her about my date with Malik. Sickeningly happy. To the point where I considered changing therapists, but I decided that would be too much work.

She babbled on about progress for a while, until I asked her whether I could have sex with him if I wanted, and the more that I thought about it the more that I realized I did want. One of the first things she made me promise to do was give up sex with strangers -- because, in her words, 'my promiscuity was potentially damaging and dangerous for my health' -- but Malik wasn't a stranger. He was safe too, as safe as Raven, so I could use him to get used to spending time with nobles. And, most importantly, I was really, really horny. She'd been less than enthusiastic, partly because she was aware that a sexual situation with Malik was exactly what had driven me to my breaking point. In the end, she advised me to wait until we were a little further into our "relationship".

My guardian expressed its disapproval of her advice fairly clearly by jabbing me once in the stomach. Which was concerning; it didn't usually have anything to say when there weren't nobles around.

I decided I would listen to the chick I was giving my money to, rather than the instincts that I'd cursed more than once. Ignoring my guardian had become so much of a habit, it was the easy choice. I resolved to behave myself.

Probably.

Mostly.

Maybe.

A little?

He arrived exactly at seven, giving me no more time to wonder if this was a spectacularly bad idea that would blow up in my face. I absolutely refused to have a panic attack at the thought of a noble in my apartment. I hadn't been more nervous before a date in my life, then I remembered I hadn't actually been on a date in my life -- if you didn't count one night stands or friends-with-benefits-without-the-friends-part, which most people probably didn't -- and that didn't make me feel better.

My guardian hummed in my chest as I opened the door. Malik met my eyes and smiled, before looking down at his shoes. His hair was a little messy, in that was that was entirely intentional, and he chewed his lip nervously. I resisted the urge to yank him inside and fuck him against the door. That would have been the opposite of behaving.

Besides, standing behind him was the guardian, Kip, wearing that frown he seemed to not be able to get off his face. I'm sure he wouldn't have appreciated it.

'You're not coming in,' I told Kip.

He glared at me. 'The Red King wanted me to tell you that if you do anything, he'll burn you to ashes.'

'You and the Red King can both suck my--' Malik looked up sharply and I abandoned that line of thought with a sigh. 'Never mind. I'll behave... define anything?'

'Jay!' Malik warned. 'That's enough from you too, Kip. I'm not a little kid anymore.'

I smirked. It was worth Malik turning his frown on me.

'I'll behave,' I told Kip. 'Though I think you can trust Malik to burn me to ashes himself if I do anything.'

The look on his face told me Kip didn't trust Malik to do anything of the sort. Because Malik was far too nice to hurt anyone, even someone who'd hurt him. I told myself it was definitely niceness, not weakness.

'Call the Gateway when you're ready, and I'll come get you,' Kip told Malik.

'I'll drive him back,' I said.

He grunted and left, though Malik made no move to come inside.

'Are you coming in, or are you going to stand there all night?' I asked. 'Because you won't be able to see the TV real well from out here.'