03.

It's Not Easy by Tyler Matl. To listen just click the external link.

---------

Kellin

I walked slowly behind Victor and Vivian, my backpack slung over my shoulders with my pink duffle in my hands, and my hair tied at the nape of my neck, the black locks, it provided a little shade for the back of my neck.

"Welcome to our home, Kellin," Vivian tells me, placing her hand on my shoulder, her brown eyes warm and comforting. I nod, smiling a little before bringing up one hand to sign what I had to say. Thank you, Vivian, I sign before bringing my hand back down.

We walked into the house and were immediately met with to flashes of tan skin that barreled into the room, stopping in front of their parents but surprising me. I hid behind Vivian, secretly happy that I was smaller than her but I was still scared, who were these people, where they Michael and Vic?

"Guys, how many times do I have to tell you to stop running to the door? You are not dogs," Vivian groaned before hugging them both, placing kisses on both of their cheeks but my eyes widened when the shorter male, who I'm guessing is Vic, looked at me. I blushed, hiding behind my hair and pulling my sweater down over my hands, a nervous habit that I had developed over the past years.

"Who's the girl?" Vic asks, his brown eyes curious but yet excited as he walked towards me slowly. I looked up at him, biting my bottom lip when he stops in front of me, smiling softly when I blush harder, my face was probably going to be red forever.

"This is Kellin, she's the newest addition to our family. She's only fifteen, and she doesn't speak at all. Luckily we taught you guys ASL because that's how she communicates," Vivian says, wrapping an arm around my shoulders, noticing how I had begun to tremble, I was scared that they were going to hurt me.

Most people don't like that I can't speak, but I haven't spoken in twelve years, so it scares me when people don't say something about it. They tend to hit me even though my vocal cords only work when I'm singing, it's like they were built for it. Singing is basically the only sound I can produce other than small noises, like a yawn or a sneeze.

"Hi Kellin, I'm Vic and that's Mike. It's going to be great having a little sister," Vic says excitedly and I squeaked when he pulls me into a hug, at first I was tense but I relaxed, hugging him back and loving how nice it felt to be accepted by them.

Eventually I follow Mike and Vic into the basement and my eyes widened when I noticed all the instruments in there, including a gorgeous black piano that sat in the corner. Practically running over there, I sat myself onto the bench and immediately began to play the notes to It's Not Easy, the familiar chords ringing through the air and I felt at peace.

Back at the orphanage, I would play this and sing along with Jenna, Tay and Taka. It was comforting because I really only felt comfortable with myself when I listened to this song.

Vic

I watched as Kellin's fingers danced over the ivory keys skillfully before she opened her mouth and the most beautiful sound I'd ever heard rang out.

"How can I open up? When I drop my guard I get let down. Am I not enough? Do I have to prove you should stick around? And do you see it in my eyes, that I'm sick of all this pain. It's not easy when it all comes down and I'm crying out. But I'm still breathing, yeah I'll be okay, I just need some space. And we all have our scars. So what? That's what makes us who we are. So keep believing, when it's not easy," Kellin sang, her voice was high and soft, but I couldn't help but to notice the small tear that fell down her face.

Kellin seemed to be holding so much, her voice was filled with untapped pain as her fingers pressed the keys, she was much more fragile than she let on and that alone made me want to protect. The song cut off, a small sob escaping her lips, her hand coming up to wipe away tears as her shoulders shook.

Wrapping my arms around her, Kellin cried into my chest, her tiny hand bunching the fabric as she tried to control her sobs. "Awm Kelly it's gonna be okay. Darling, it's gonna be alright," I cooed, Mike patting her back as she sniffled a little, yawning softly.

Now that I really look at her, I noticed her long black hair reached her waist and she was really thin. Her collarbones prominent against her pale skin, and I could feel her ribs, maybe she didn't eat that much because she wasn't horribly thin.

Thank you for caring, she signed tiredly before I hear small, soft kitten snores coming from her. Mike smiled at our new little sister, awwing at the light bunny sneeze that she let out. "She's so adorable," Mike coos and I nod, Kellin was undeniably adorable.

I'm going to make sure no one hurts her.