WAVE 05 - captain Weasley.

Start from the beginning

The Malfoy's heir lost track of time. He could have been hanging there for hours, of minutes, he didn't know anymore. He was soaked, cold, hungry, thirsty and shivering. The waters of the sea made his mouth tasted salty, and sometimes he was almost drowned by the waves. He had to cough his lungs out to hold on to life.

Draco caught the glimpse of Hermione's face in one of the waves which crushed down on him. His eyes locked with hers.

Hermione, he thought, I'm hallucinating, I know, but I'm so glad to see you before I past.

The hallucination didn't move. She was staring at him from the bottom of his feet, her face half hidden in her hair, and the waves didn't seem to affect her one bit.

That's when he clicked.

She was really there.

His eyes grew bigger at the realisation that her life was in danger, and he tried not to show the panic attack he was suffering not to warn the crew the mermaid was there – a few inches away from all the weapons pointed at the water.

She smiled wildly at him, and put one finger over her lips, the motion indicating him to keep quiet.

He had to find a way to communicate with her, to tell her that they wanted her blood more than anything and that she would be tortured alive for her fins, her hair, and everything that composed her was made of pure magic.

My star, he heard in his head. He looked at her, agape. Did she just invaded his thoughts? Her voice was soft and warm. He felt his body warming up at every syllable that followed.

I know they want me, but I can't save you now, she continued, her head still floating inches away from his feet. He caught a glimpse of her long tail, and thought it was beautiful.

I will wait for them to not expect me anymore, but I have to mark you, for other mermaids are roaming the sea to capture human males, she said. Her eyes looked sad. This will hurt, my love.

And then, a huge wave came crushing down the boat, half of it vanishing into the water. Draco's body plunged into so deep into the cold waters that he didn't even see the surface of the sea, he tried his best to hold his breath.

Then he felt it, an incredible pain in the middle of his back made him contort his body in hope to escape it. He had wanted to yell, but he couldn't afford that. By the time he could turn around to see what Hermione was doing to him, he felt her lips on his. She bit his lips, and the water around them tainted reddish for a second before the waters became dark again. Warmth spread through his body, from head to know, and he found that breathing underwater had become quite easier for gills had started to grow on his neck.

It was a brief kissed, because right then, he was pulled backwards by the rope. The last thing he saw, before fainting, was her sad face, surrounded by the hair, and her incredibly long purple tail moving under her. She was the most beautiful creature he had ever laid eyes on.

XX

''You – evil – little – useless – cockroach !'' He heard a raspy feminine voice yelled. ''You had one job! One simple job, might I had, and you ruined it!''

Draco was laying on his back, on the deck of the boat. It must've been close to mid day, because the sun was shining brightly, burning his skin and almost blinding him even if his eyes were closed.

''Bellatrix our plan didn't work –''

His words turned into a painful yell. Draco didn't dare to open his eyes but he knew that Weasel – or whatever his name was – was suffering a great deal of pain. Although it probably wasn't as half as much as being held out in the dark over board, crushed by waves and then bit by a mermaid.