Chapter 2: Chocolate Brown Eyes

The next morning I woke up to the sound of a nasal buzzing sound. I reached over my side to hit the damn alarm button and read that it was seven thirty in the morning; class didn't start until ten. With the little energy I had, I made the effort to get out of this soft,  plush bed- I know I'll regret getting out of further in the day- and stumbled over to turn on the lights. It took a couple of minutes until my eyes finally adjusted to the brightness and I dragged myself to freshen up in the bathroom. As soon as I finished washing my face and brushing my teeth, I went to what would be the best thing in this room for any girl, the walk-in closet. I had planned for months now on what I would wear on my first day of college, and after many changes of deciding which outfit would work, I came up with the final decision. I put on a knitted cream sweater with some burgundy colored skinny jeans and one of my favorite pair of brown boots that I had. They had a little heel at the bottom that click-clack when you walk, and has a red sipper that zips all the way up to the knee at the back of my calves. Thankfully, the Santa Barbara weather was cooperative with my choice of clothing; looking out the window, it was overcast with a steady going breeze. I went over to the full length mirror hanging on the closet door to see how I looked and I was fairly pleased to say the least. I have a petite slender figure, my mother's eyes, and my dad's brunette hair. I'm the only girl in the family who doesn't have blonde hair, but I guess I don't really mind. I walked out of the closet and grabbed my bag. 

Out of nowhere, Becca barged in through the bedroom door and exclaimed,"Good morning! Ooh look at you, all dolled up. Going to try to catch a fella's heart are we?" She gave me a wink- all signs of last nights argument were gone in her eyes.  

"Please, the last thing on my list are boys."

"Ugh tell me something I don't know!" She flopped onto my bed, "You know, you are going to turn into an old lady living with a billion cats if you keep up this 'no boys' act."

I shot her a mocking glare, "Ha ha ain't that the truth." 

We headed out to the kitchen where I popped in two bagels in the toaster for me and Becca. She leaned against the counter with a gleaming look in her eyes, and I instantly knew I wasn't going to like the next words out of her mouth. "You know, Jack has this friend. Real hot and he's single…" 

I was just about to argue but I jumped slightly when the bagels unexpectedly jumped out of the toaster. I can feel my patience starting to thin out, so I quickly spread cream cheese on both our bagels and booked it to the front door, leaving Becca and her stupid bagel in the kitchen. We didn't need to worry about carpooling since we both drove our own cars, so I didn't feel the need to have to wait for her. I know it makes sense leaving together, since we're going to the same college, but that plan flew out the window when she mentioned Jack, her boyfriend, and his numerous friends that they've tried hooking me up with. So now here I am getting into my one and only love of my life, my red 1995 Ford Mustang GT. I had earned her with time and dedication babysitting the neighborhood's little boogers for a couple of years and she was damn worth it. I started the engine up so she could warm up a bit up, while I sank into the black leather seat and chew on the now cold bagel. 

I counted to ten so I can let some steam off. She should know by now that I'm tired of playing her and her boyfriends match up games. I tell them constantly that I'm not interested in random, idiotic boys they throw at me, but it all goes in through one ear and out the other. Since my last relationship ended, she had this crazy thought that I needed a new man in my life even though I told her I wasn't interested. Nonetheless, she denied what I said and told me to trust what she was doing. Eventually all my complaining came to good use one day and Becca promised she'd stop. Couple weeks later she's back in the game and shoving a new guy at my door. I would like to think my best friend would respect my choices but obviously that doesn't seem to be happening at the moment.