Chapter 8

When I woke up, my wrists burned. I quickly discovered that they were wrapped with a rope that had been soaked in vervain. Tears slid down my cheeks from the pain and I remembered exactly what had happened to me. My worst nightmare was coming true. I glanced around, finding that I was in a small space and it was pitch black. The trunk of a car to be exact. I could feel the car stop and hear the approaching footsteps. I think I'd rather stay back here than face Elijah again.

Sure enough he opened the trunk to reveal himself dressed in an Armani suit. I squinted from the bright light and cowered away from him. He ignored my fear and picked me up, carrying me to the passenger seat. He set me inside before walking around to the drivers side. He got back into the vehicle and continued to drive.

"I can't believe you're alive," he finally broke the silence. "I knew you had turned, but I never expected you to complete the transition. You seemed to despise vampires."

"Yeah well I did, and I still hate your brother for what he did to me," I spat, finding some source of confidence.

"And you have all the reason to," Elijah said, surprising me. "You see, I have my own reasons for disliking my brother, and I feel it is about time for him to pay for the wrongs he has done."

"Really?"

"Yes, and this is why I need your help in doing so."

"What did he do to you?"

"As you know, the only way to kill an original is with the stake from a white oak tree. My family burnt it to the ground centuries ago, but the ash remained. Niklaus managed to find daggers in which when dipped in the ash, they would desiccate us until they were removed. He now has our whole family dumped in the seas. He ruined us."

"I feel yah," I grumbled. "I would love to help you destroy your brother. But I don't know what you expect me to do."

"I just need the location of the girl."

"Can I trust you?" I asked skeptically.

"Of course. Besides, you don't have much of a choice."

•••

"You brought him here?" Damon asked in anger.

"You left me with him! For all you knew he could've killed me!" I fired back.

"I was trying to help Rose! She was sorta burning to death!" He defended himself.

It was then that Elijah explained his plan to kill Klaus and of the potion that could possibly save Elena's life. With a huge argument, Elena finally agreed to Elijah's deal. Damon wasn't too happy about this, but Elijah had already summoned Klaus. It was all just a matter of time.

•••

"You daggered him?" I asked in disbelief. "Damon, Elijah was the only one who even had a chance of fighting off Klaus and you quite literally stabbed him in the back."

"I didn't. Elena did," he shook his head, pointing a finger at the brunette. I gave her a disapproving look.

"He trusted you. He wanted to help you and you betrayed him," I spat angrily before storming out of the room. There was no way we could kill Klaus without Elijah.

•••

"I look ridiculous," I groaned as I stepped into view. "Can I skip this dance? I mean, I hated the sixties the first go round. Not wanting to celebrate it."

"Yes, Maddie," Damon rolled his eyes as he stepped into view. He wore a suit that I'm pretty sure I actually remember him wearing back in the day. "Klaus has already made it known he's gonna be here tonight, and you're the only one who knows what this guy looks like."

"Ugh," I groan, trying to hide the fear burning in my chest. "Damon, he's killed me once. I have no doubt that he'll do it again."

"We won't let that happen to you."

"It's funny that you think you could stop him," I laugh bitterly. "You better have a game plan."

"Oh, I do," he smirked.

•••

"Maddie, you look amazing," Caroline yelled over the music. I smiled at the blonde and happily returned the compliment back to her. How is it possible for her to be so gorgeous?

"Where is everybody?" I ask in confusion. The room is gushing with teenagers, but I can't seem to find the ones I actually like.

"Stefan and Elena are dancing. Bonnie was with Jeremy I think, and there's Tyler over by the fountain. I'm gonna go say hi," she answered before excusing herself. I let out a sigh before looking around the room for at least one familiar face. I didn't want to be alone if I saw him.

My blood ran cold at the thought of him, and I felt sick all over again. I needed a drink. Something strong. I pulled out a flask from my purse and tipped it back hastily. I felt someone tap my shoulder, causing me to freeze.

"Bringing alcohol to a high school dance? Something tells me that's against the rules," The familiar voice said before I spun on my heel. His eyes widened and his mouth dropped as he looked at me with a surprised expression.

"God Alaric you scared me," I clutched my heart. "Why are you looking at me like you've seen a ghost or something?"

"No reason," he cleared his throat, shaking his head. "You seem on edge."

"Yeah, well it's not like my psychotic ex-boyfriend is here or anything," I frowned, throwing back the liquid. "And of course I have to be here to spot him because I'm the only one who has a freaking clue what he looks like. Stupid assholes shouldn't have daggered Elijah."

Alaric simply chuckled at my rant before pulling me closer by the shoulder. He lent down and pressed his lips right by my ear. His warm breath felt strange and made me uncomfortable.

"I have some stronger stuff stashed in my desk," he whispered before straightening up. He nudged his head towards the empty hallways, and I happily followed him out.

"If something happens before I get back, I totally blame you," I laugh half-heartedly. "Especially if I could've prevented it, though I doubt I could."

"Something tells me that nothing is going to happen just yet. The night is still young," he smiled. "Why do you talk about him like he's so high and mighty?"

"The older you are, the stronger you are. I may be just three years younger than him, but he's an original. He's killed me once, and I'm terrified that he'll do it again."

We finally reach the classroom, and he walked over to the desk, taking out a key and unlocking it. He pulls out a white bottle, gripping onto it tightly as he looks at me skeptically.

"You're scared of him," Alaric nodded.

"And I have reason to be."

"Maybe he made a mistake. Love makes people do stupid things."

"Love isn't real, Alaric," I roll my eyes at him before taking the drink from him and chugging it. My eyes widen as the liquid burns my throat. Vervain. I get sent into a coughing fit as I hunch over in pain. Before I know it, I'm pinned to the wall. Alaric caresses my cheeks and looks deeply into my eyes.

"We both know that's not true," he leans in closer to me to whisper the next part. "Madeline."

And just by the few actions and the use of the name that I haven't went by in centuries, I know that I'm screwed. My body begins to shut down and go into a panic. I'm barely about to make out the one word.

"Klaus."