When our breakfast hour was over, our miniature group was kicked out of the cafeteria for the next bundle of prisoners to get ushered inside. We all walked there together, almost like a team. Of course, there were many disagreements and enemies in our posse but, when it came down to facing danger (like an unpredictable group), we always stood together. It was a magical thing, how a bunch of rough, shabby men, who were all in jail, could form something much like a family. The loners joined the thugs and the goody-two-shoes' joined the troublemakers to create a powerful alliance. And that was a truly wonderful thing to see.

I actually did not know my way to the courtyard, so I ended up following Vic like a lost puppy. I was not very keen on spending my time with the other group, as I was not a fan of...well, people. In general. But I told myself that, once in a while, every person needs sunlight and human contact. And I did not have much else to do anyway.

We all made our way outside and, upon taking my first step, I noticed a significant different between their group and ours. Here, you could probably cut the tension with a knife. Unlike us, where everyone was scattered around, here there was an obvious split within the people; half of them on one side of the area, the other half on the other side, and us right in the middle. We had unconsciously made our way between two colossal, rival gangs.

All of us froze at the sight of each other, but my close friend seemed to not be phased at all and carried on walking with simplicity. I had no choice other than to reluctantly follow him to the back of the courtyard, down to an empty basketball pitch, where we sat down on the ground; all under the watch of hungry eyes.

The night had been gloomy with droplets of rain ferociously machine-gunning all windows and, even though the downpour had stopped, the eerie clouds still hung in the sky, like knives on strings which were just begging to be cut, and prevented all but a few stray rays of sunlight from coming through. The ground was still soggy and damp, but it was a lot better than standing for however long we were planning on staying here.

With Vic sitting opposite me, I gazed over his shoulder to see every one of us parting into their usual groups and making their way around the place. But this did not mean a thing. If anyone from group A even dared touch one of us, they would have an angry Vic to deal with. Even though he was not the murderer everyone thought he was, the fact that they believed so was enough. Also, Vic was a lot stronger than he looked and, even without those homicidal tendencies, he could still probably beat most people here to a pulp. And, as much as he hated most of our group, he was very loyal and would fight for any one of them just like they would do for him.

Vic was feared even in other groups. This surprised me as there were people who had done much worse things here, but I did not complain. It only meant that we were safe from everyone, but it was strange how word could spread around a place like this. I also noticed, as we were passing a few people from group A, that they referred to my companion as 'Violent Vic'. The dumb nickname made me chuckle at how oblivious people were, but I found it unbelievably cute. Violent Vic. If only they knew...

I noticed that the bundle of thugs had been approached by six people from one of the sides. They exchanged handshakes and smiles, just like old friends. This unsettled me. I did not want them to get involved with each other, as that would only cause problems. I realised that the other side of group A was eyeing them suspiciously, and I was not surprised. I would be cautious too.

"Tell me about Copeland." A sudden voice made me yelp and jump slightly, as I had been so engrossed in my thoughts and observations. I finally altered my attention to Vic, who was waiting patiently for my answer.

I considered my response, wondering why he would want to know about her anyway, but after his confession to me there had been no secrets between us. There was so much to say about her, so I decided to tell him all of it.