Chapter 15 - Give it to me Right

Comenzar desde el principio

"Ah, who's him?" she asked in excitement.

"Just a guy I like" I grinned as I soon went back to working in the Women section of the store.

I've always preferred the Men section though. In my opinion, they had better clothing items. Better shirts, hoodies, beanies and shoes. I remembered that when I was a little girl, precisely 6, I wished I was a boy only for wearing their clothes. I smiled at myself and fixed the women's high heels boxes in the right shelf.

20 minutes later, I found myself frozen by the sight of dad, Sidney and Laura entering the shop. It was highly improbable for them to find me, Los Angeles is huge. I quickly hurried in the back but was soon stopped by Erika, one of my workmates.

"Courtney. Sarah's shift just ended, we need you at the cash counter desk" she said, I swallowed loudly and nodded.

I quietly reached the desk, hoping that my family would find nothing interesting and leave right away. I saw them coming closer instead with a pair of blue/grey sneakers.

"Hello, how can I help you?" I said, as we all had to if we wanted to keep our jobs.

"Courtney?" they all asked in sync with a surprised tone.

"Yeah, that's my name" I said with a little bit of irony, as my smile was soon fading away.

"You.. work?" my dad asked with his eyes wide open,

"If I didn't I couldn't pay the rent" I pointed out.

"Wow, you look totally different" Laura affirmed,

"Like grown up? - I am" I said as I thought how I could just switch the subject so I wouldn't have to explain more than I already wanted to.

"It's 12 dollars and 60" I soon informed, grabbing the pair of shoes hanging on the desk and put it in a paper bag of ours.

"Courtney! Oh my god!" Raylee soon yelled, we all looked at her.

"Your man just sent you flowers! Dark red roses, your favorites!" she yelled again, I couldn't help but widely smile as she reached me with the flowers.

"Holy-"

"There's a note!" she pointed out, excited, "C'mon, read it! Read it!"

"Alright, alright" I laughed as I picked it up.

"I'm so sorry I had to leave early this morning, I wish I could've stayed longer. I made you breakfast but I don't feel like I've totally made it up to you so I planned something. I'll pick you up at 8pm, dress up nicely but comfortable, I'm taking you out. Love, Evan"

I smiled widely as my heart almost pounded out of my chest. My cheeks grew warm and turned fire red as I grabbed the note tighter and placed it in my black jeans' pocket.

"What does it say?" she happily asked,

"Uhm, things" I laughed.

"Ah, you're blushing! You're so gone, girl" she widely smiled as she excitely went back on the Women section, still looking back at me with a big smile. I smiled at her and felt strong sights on me. That's when I remembered about my family being in front of me.

"Who's this mysterious man?" Laura asked with a small smile, as a smirk grew wide.

"No one" I spat as I instantly handed their bag to them and looked away.

"He seems like getting you, you look happy" Sidney said with a weak smile.

"When is your shift over?" dad asked,

"In 20 minutes" I said as I quickly glaced at the big clock hanging on our heads, 7.20pm.

"Can we hang out after that maybe?" he asked again.

"I actually have to be home by at least 7.30 so I'd better leave in 10 minutes instead. I need to be out at 8 again, time for a quick shower and a clean up"

"I see. Maybe we can have lunch together in the morning" he suggested,

"Okay but at 2pm I have to start my shift already" I informed, he nodded with a weak smile.