Chapter Twenty Two - In which the monster is born

Začít od začátku

I love how he thinks he can be my knight in shining armour, but why doesn't he understand I'm not a damsel in distress. I can protect myself. I can protect him. I'm braver than he thinks I am and I just need a chance to prove it.

Slowly, I get up and walk towards the kitchen, careful not to make a sound. 

It's deserted.

Where is he?

My footsteps make small padding noises as I make my way to the living room. No one there either. Pushing my long locks away from my eyes I think of all the other possible places he could be. Hearing noises coming from the study my heart jumps. Hands balling into fists, I narrow my eyes.

Don't be scared Lily. You can do this.

Taking a deep breath I walk slowly to the room. I keep my steps quiet and make sure I'm hidden by the furniture. If it's one of those people we keep running from- what can I do? What does he always tell me to do if I get caught?

He says to be brave and know that I'll soon be reunited with him. That he would never let a second go by where he's not with me. The thought makes me feel braver as I peer round the doorway.

I can hear my heart beating so fast, I'm pretty sure I have a risk of getting a heart attack. My eyes widen as I take in the figure in the room. I feel like I'm about to puke, so much for being brave, but then I hear his voice. It's him. Thank god! I'm about to laugh out loud but then I hear his conversation.

"Please you don't understand, I need you to take her away." He says in an urgent voice. Whose her? My heart doesn't settle as I feel the tension rolling off him.

"I can't, you know I can't. She's in more danger here," the person in the fire replies. The voice sounds familiar and I'm sure I know them, so why are they being so mean to him? Why aren't they giving him what he wants?

"I wouldn't ask if I wasn't desperate. They know where I am" he pleads with a strained voice. A lump in my throat forms as I wish I could go up to him and comfort him, but I can't. I can't let him know I'm here or he'll never finish this story. He never tells me these stories, his stories always have happy endings. Yet the bruises and the sunken eyes makes me think different.

"Move then! What are you still doing there?! Put a cloaking spell, I don't care. Don't bring me into this or we'll all get killed!" The man says harshly causing goosebumps to rise on my arm.

"Just promise me you'll take care of her. Take her tonight. Just for tonight. I need to know you won't abandon her. You are her f-" he starts but then the fire hisses.

"Stop. Don't mention that. You don't know who could be listening. I did what I did to protect her and now it's your turn," the stranger spits causing the fire to blast up for a second. "But I will come for her if you're so sure your cover is broken. I don't see why it would be since I haven't heard a thing," the man continues and I see his shoulders visibly relax.

"You know I wouldn't change a thing. I'd do it again and even then I wouldn't be able to repay y-" 

But then a crash interrupts him. I jump as my eyes meet with his. We stare at each other wide eyed as there's pin drop silence for a second. But then we hear it. The scuttling. The sound of people in the other room. Just down the hall there are intruders and something tells me they're not here to join our party.

"What's going on?" The fire calls with fear in its voice but father doesn't pay attention to it anymore. Instead he comes to me and embraces me, hugging me so tightly I'm sure he broke all my bones. It's like he's scared or something, I've never seen him like this before. It scares me.