12. Proud Son

Knock knock knock.

Blaine closed his eyes.

Knock knock knock.

He squeezed them even harder. Maybe if he pulled his duvet cover higher over his ears, the unexpected guest would just disappear.

Knock KNOCK KNOCK.

With no such luck, he rolled over with a groan.

There was a brief pause before he heard the sound of a key jamming into the lock. A soft click sounded before the door swung open, and light flooded into the dorm room.

"Blaine? What are you doing?"

Blaine blinked at the sound of his name. "Kurt?"

"Try again," the guest said, flipping the light switch and further irritating Blaine's eyes in the process.

"Nick?" Blaine questioned after rubbing his eyes. "What are you doing here?"

"Dude, were you sleeping?" Nick asked.

"No," Blaine sighed. "I... I was just thinking."

Nick glanced at the alarm clock on Blaine's bedside table. "I thought you'd be up by now."

"Do you care to tell me why you're in my room at five fourty-three in the morning?" Blaine propped himself up on his elbows. "How did you even get in here?"

"Please. You don't think I have spare keys from all the times you forgot yours?" Nick answered with a sly smirk as he went over to Blaine's desk. "I know it's early. I have to borrow your laptop."

"Why?" he asked the other dark-haired teen.

Nick spoke casually as he opened Blaine's laptop, entering the password with ease. "Because mine's crapped out. I forgot to turn in an assignment for Madame Cunningham's French class. There's no way I'm asking for my roommate's computer."

"What about Jeff's?" Blaine wondered.

"Jeff waits for the last possible minute to get ready for classes," replied Nick as he clacked away on the keyboard. "His roommate already hates me enough for us kicking him out all the time. I don't think he'd be too happy getting this wake-up call."

"So you thought I'd enjoy it?" Blaine shook his head and collapsed back down onto his pillow.

"Who else would be up and ready at this time in the morning?" Nick shot back with. "Oh, hey. Speaking of which, where is the boy wonder?"

Blaine took a pained glance at the empty bed across the room, saying nothing.

"Uh... are you okay, Blaine?"

"I did a bad thing, Nick..." he answered.

"How bad?" Nick briefly looked up from the laptop screen. "Whatja do?"

"I-I can't tell you. But I really messed up and I shouldn't have done it," Blaine muttered as he buried himself back in the covers.

There was a long pause that followed. "Is it about Kurt?"

Blaine nodded. "I think... I think he was having an anxiety attack or something last night. But he left before I could do anything. God, I'm so stupid."

"What do you mean he left?" questioned Nick.

"I don't know. I should have sensed that he was uncomfortable. But he started freaking out and he disappeared. I should have followed him; I should have helped him..." Blaine droned on.

"Blaine..." Nick's hands were completely off the laptop now. "What did you do?"

"I can't tell you," he only whispered.