CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO : THE TALK

NOTE: Hey guys, thank for reading please follow my IG page: https://www.instagram.com/_author_eugenia_/    Your support means a lot to me. And all my IG followers get first hand preview chapters of all my upcoming books.

Six days later,

It had been six days since Aubrey and CJ had moved into Connor's hotel room, which seemed more like a penthouse than a hotel room, and she could not complain because they had everything they wanted and more.

Aubrey dreaded the pending conversation between the two, and their discussions involved only CJ's health and nothing else.

Aubrey could also see that the relationship between father and son strengthened; every day Connor returned home, he always came back with something that impressed their son beyond his imagination.

It began with a simple remote-control car, a wooden replica of an actual lifeboat, and today he brought him a phone, one of the most expensive phones on the market, and Aubrey could not believe it.

She watched her son shriek excitedly and jump up and down, yelling that he had a phone. Aubrey calmly stared at Connor and back at her excited son, saying nothing. Instead, she sat in her chair quietly.

Oh, please, Aubrey, you are just jealous. Her subconscious told her.

No, I am not. So, Aubrey told herself mentally as she denied that she was envious of all Connor was doing for their son. Aubrey watched Connor and CJ play; for some reason, she felt as though her son was taken away from her by Connor, which pained her.

Hours passed, and CJ slowly tired as his mother tucked him into bed. Then, finally, Aubrey walked out of CJ's room and entered the living room. To her surprise, Connor was there, holding onto a glass of wine.

"Aubrey, I could see from your face that you're not quite happy with all the gifts I've been giving our son," Connor told her, and Aubrey knew that she could not even deny it.

"For your information, he's my son, okay," Aubrey let out in anger as she pointed her finger at Connor's chest and quickly removed it because she felt an electric shock run through her fingers. Even after eight years, he still had that effect on her.

"Aubrey, are you listening to yourself? For the first time, I discovered I have a seven-year-old son. I want to make it up to CJ for not being in his life the entire time. But, then again, his mother never contacted me to tell me that she was pregnant with my child" Connor allowed all he had been holding in for the past few days to spill; he was sick of pretending that all was well.

"He is seven years for crying in the bloody bucket; why would he need a phone and call who?" Aubrey questioned Connor.

"To call me his father when he is in trouble or when he's stuck inside a burning house, and I am not there to save him!" Connor looked at Aubrey, and for a moment, everything went still.

"Oh, my Connor, now I'm the cause of the fire; now you're accusing me of trying to kill our son?" Aubrey asked Connor, as her face reddened with anger that Connor would assume such a thing about her.

"Aubrey, I didn't say that okay," Connor denied.

"No, but that's what you assumed, right, Connor?" Aubrey watched as Connor paced the interior of his living room, biting his tongue to prevent whatever bad words he wanted to say to Aubrey, and finally, he walked back to her.

"You know what your problem is? You're jealous," Connor accused her.

"Jealous?" Aubrey asked him.

"Keep your damn voice down, our son is sleeping, and the least you could do is respect that, but that would be asking too much from you."

"I am not jealous of you at all. On the contrary, I love our son more than you could ever love him, and I care about his well-being."

"Yeah, you care about him so fucking much that you put your pride before his needs." Aubrey stared at Connor, confused regarding what he had just said to her.

"What the hell are you talking about, Connor?"

"I'm talking about the fact that you got fired and hadn't bothered to call me. I am talking about my son sleeping hungry for a day because you were waiting on his final paycheck. I am talking about the fact that my little boy had to tell me all this, and he says it in such a way that he thinks it's okay to sleep hungry because you have normalized it" Connor angrily listed the list of mistakes Aubrey had made regarding their son, and it hit home.

"Oh, please, Connor, it doesn't mean that you were born with a silver spoon up your ass, and suddenly everyone should. I can't help it without food at home; I try my best!"

"Our son has a father that can afford to buy him the world Aubrey; he's like this because of you!" Connor accused her, and this left Aubrey speechless.

How dare he? Aubrey thought to herself.

"So you're saying it's my fault?"

"Yes, Aubrey, I'm saying that it's your fault. Because of you, my son has this crazed mentality that it's okay to sleep hungry and not go to school because there is no money at home!"

"You know nothing about me!"

"Unbelievably, I have tapped that ass of yours enough times to know you well enough," Connor told her, and in a split second, he wished he could take it back because the hurt in Aubrey's voice was evident.

"Mommy and daddy, please don't fight," a little voice came from behind Connor; he turned around he saw his little boy with tear-filled eyes and clutching onto the teddy bear that Connor had won for him a day earlier at a carnival.

Connor quickly ran towards CJ and kneeled before him so they were facing each other. Connor stroked CJ's soft face and cupped his face in his hands.

"Son, your mom and I weren't fighting; we were just talking loudly," Connor lied to his son to put him at ease.

"No, you were. You were screaming at each other, and I could hear you two," CJ went on, and this time, he cried more than before.

"No, my son, we weren't; we were just talking very loud. Kind of like you, when you overeat sugar and run around the hotel talking loudly because you have too much energy".

Connor gave his son a weak smile, and CJ did the same as if he doubted Connor's words. Connor hugged his son, and he was about to do something that would probably make Aubrey hate him, but he had to do it anyway.

"And you know what, son?"

"What, Daddy?"

"In a few days, we are leaving for New York City" Connors stared at Aubrey's shocked expression, but he could tell she was angry with him.

"Really, Daddy?" CJ asked his father.

"Yes, son. You, Mommy, and I will be staying in New York. So go to bed and get some rest, okay".

"Okay, Daddy!".

His son returned to his bedroom, and Connor heard Aubrey's footsteps behind him. He turned to face her angry glare.

"How dare—"

"Shut up, Aubrey, we're going to New York, and that's final. You get it?"

Connor walked away from Aubrey, he did not hear an utterance from her, and that is how he wanted things to stay.