CHAPTER FOUR : ARRIVE

Cape Town, South Africa

Aubrey rushed to her place of work faster than she had ever run, she was late, and to make matters worse, Maria was there to give her an ear full, and Aubrey was in no mood to listen to anything that she had to say.

Aubrey could still remember leaving home early, even when CJ had woken up and questioned her as he did every morning.

"Mom, where are you going?" CJ asked her even though he was half-asleep.

"Well, baby, mommy has to leave early since that witch-... I mean, my boss's sister is visiting her" Aubrey bit her tongue as she avoided telling her son what a cruel woman Maria was.

"But, Mommy, it's too early," CJ informed her, and it indeed was; not even the sun had risen then.

"I know, baby, but mommy has to work. You know that if I don't work, there won't be any food, and we won't have money to get you that dinosaur book you wanted so badly."

For a child, his age, Aubrey honestly did not get his fascination with dinosaurs. However, while other children his age were obsessed with superheroes, her son, CJ, on the other hand, liked dinosaur books.

"Okay, Mommy, but Mommy, who's my daddy? I mean, he can help out, and he could buy me that book, okay want" There it was, the question she had been dreading to answer all my life. Aubrey did not blame her son because he was bound to ask. What normal child would not want to know who his father was?

"Baby, mommy has to leave now, okay? There's bread in the oven, and everything you need is here. Remember, Mommy, loves you" Those were her last words to her son before leaving him alone at home. Aubrey had no family; therefore, CJ had to stay in their rundown apartment alone. Even as she shut the door of her house, her heart broke.

She shut her eyes as she realized that she might not come home early.

**

"Connor, my good friend!" Tate called out as Connor descended from his private jet. Connor turned his attention to his long-time friend and smiled at him. Although the pair had not seen each other for years, they kept in contact.

"Hey, my man!" Connor called out to his best friend. Tate was a few inches taller than Connor, topping him by about two inches; he had jet-black hair, unlike Connor's sandy brown hair. In addition, Tate had ocean blue eyes while Connor's were silver grey, and he was a bit chubby while Connor was well built.

"Wow, Tate, my friend, I'm afraid you have let yourself go," Connor heard Tate chuckle. Back in university, Tate always got the girls, made them laugh, and later got laid.

"Well, what can I say; I'm married now and got a kid on the way, so my wife isn't giving me the exercise I need for a man my age," Tate confessed. Connor stared at his friend and smiled; never in his life would he have pictured Tate as the marrying type, and worse, Tate married before Connor did.

Was it not that long ago when Tate vowed to never get married, and here he was married and about to become a father. Although Connor was proud of his best friend, he could not help but envy the man. Here Tate was, married and about to become a father, and he, Connor, had nothing to show for it other than his work.

There were days when he wondered what would happen if he died. He had no wife or child to take over his wealth, which was just sad.

"Seriously, Connor, it was bound to happen somehow. I have been happily married to my lovely wife, Beth, for three years. So don't look at me like that, as if you're expecting rockets to fly out my ass," Tate joked, and both men laughed.

Before both men knew it, they headed to Tate's house in the car. Their conversations went on for hours and hours, they lost track of time, and neither man seemed to bother.

"My wife would love to see you meet you; she says she wants to meet you," Tate told Connor, and this confession had Connor raise a questionable eyebrow at Tate.

"I hope you did not tell her anything bad about me because that would be bad for me," Connor warned his best friend, who laughed it off.

"No, I did not tell her anything bad about you. My wife wants to meet you and maybe hook you up with one of her friends," Tate teased.

"Well, if that is the case, then I would be more than willing to meet your wife, and I won't mind her setting me up with one of her friends; maybe then I might give my mother those grandbabies that she wants so desperately."

For the past few years, Connor's mother had been pushing for him to get married, and he knew that she was concerned about him, but in truth, Connor could never forget his first love, Aubrey.

"Are you okay?" Tate asked Connor, who smiled it off.

"Nothing, I am just tired from all the flying I have been doing," Connor lied; there was no way that he would confess to thinking about Aubrey. The relationship between him and Aubrey had ended, and it was best that he forgot about it sooner rather than later.

But for now, he would enjoy the company of his friend and focus on other things and less on his past.