CHAPTER FOURTEEN : TRUTH

Connor woke up feeling grumpy from the events of the previous night, not even the fine linen of the hotel room could make him feel at ease. Connor got off the bed and the entire time the events replayed in his head as he thought of ways to fix things.

It is your fault Connor, if you had not left her all by herself, she would not be like this. Now Aubrey does not have a proper home and cannot even afford to send her son to school. He kept thinking to himself.

Connor got off his bed as he decided that he needed a cold shower, after soaking himself in cold water, Connor got out and dressed himself. Feeling useless and not really having a plan on how to help Aubrey without offending her, he grabbed his keys from the coffee table and exited his room.

**

Connor drove his car from his hotel to a shabby looking house with broken windows and fading paint, Aubrey's apartment. He walked towards her little house, knowing that Aubrey would probably be at work. Connor had last seen her three days ago. He raised his hand and knocked on the old looking, shabby door and it creaked.

"Coming, who's there?" CJ's voice rung from inside the other side of the door, Connor smiled. Connor could not put his finger on it but CJ that amazed him.

"Hey CJ, its Connor your mothers friend" Connor explained, hoping that it would jog the little boys memory.

"Hey Uncle Connor" CJ exclaimed with excitement. CJ ran to the window to see Connor who stood outside the house, CJ looked happy to see him and that made Connor smile.

"Hey boy, is it okay if I come in?" Connor asked CJ. He was disappointed to see that the smile on CJ' face disappointed after he had asked the question.

"I'm sorry Uncle Connor but I can't let strangers in the house without mommy's permission and also only mommy has the key to the house" CJ responded, his tone of voice filled with so much sadness and this only made Connor want to question why CJ was left all alone.

Why would Aubrey leave poor CJ all by himself? Connor asked himself, but then it hit him that she probably did not have the funds to have someone watch over CJ.

"CJ, does mommy leave you like this every time she goes to work?" Connor asked him, deep down he was afraid of the answer he would receive. Then CJ nodded his head in agreement.

Connor turned his head, looked around the neighborhood and it did not take a smart head to figure out that the surrounding area were unsafe for neither CJ nor Aubrey.

"Oh I see, so CJ does your dad visit you often or take you out?" Connor asked a question he had been holding in ever since he reconnected with Aubrey. CJ looked up at Connor with sadness in his eyes and then he played with his fingers.

"I don't have a daddy; I guess I was not born with one like other kids. Can you be my daddy?" CJ asked Connor. As much as Connor would have jumped at the opportunity to build a life with Aubrey and CJ but he had to stop himself, giving CJ hope and then dashing it was something he could not do.

"I'm so sorry my boy but it doesn't work like that" Connor told CJ and it hurt him that it was breaking the little boy's heart. The look on CJ's face rang out his disappointment.

As much as I would want you to be mine, the truth is that you are not mine and neither is your mother. Connor thought to himself as he wished the circumstances were different.

"It's okay Uncle Connor, you don't have to feel bad for me" CJ looked up from his hands and smiled at Connor.

Just hearing him say that tore Connor's heart into a million pieces as he looked into CJ's eyes. Just before Connor could walk away, he saw something on CJ's neck that reminded him of something. While still in shock, Connor said his farewell and left.

He drove back to his hotel room and tried to piece together what he had seen. He unlocked his hotel room door, entered and just slumped onto the couch. Connor decided that over thinking things would take him nowhere, so he picked up the gossip magazine that he had left that morning untouched. He scrolled through the pages until he found something that caught his eyes. In big bold letters it read:

Billionaire Connor O'Brian was seen at The Pizza Deluxe on a Saturday night with a little boy and a woman known as Aubrey Peterson. A source at the Pizza restaurant said that they had seen Connor and the woman being romantic and they were cuddling with one another.

The little boy is rumored to be his son and the mother, Aubrey, his secret girlfriend.

Although we do not know how the two have kept their affair out of the papers for so long but it has kept us wondering if Connor is ready to tie the knot as well as be is a father.

Connor flung the magazine onto the floor, pulled out his phone and called his private detective, because he was determined to get to the root of the matter

**

Aubrey walked out of The Buford building angry with Connor; she knew that it could only be Connor. She walked all the way to the parking lot only to see Connor standing outside of his car leaning on the side. Aubrey stomped all the way to him and halted only a few centimeters.

"Well, Connor, that is so rich even for you" She raised her voice at him and he stared back at her with no emotion what's-so-ever in his face.

"Do you know what it feels like to have a snobby secretary pulling me out of work, only to tell me that Mr. Buford told her that I am excused from work and that there is a man outside waiting for me? I don't know if you like attention from your colleagues but I don't and I—"

"Shut up Aubrey! I mean it; do not make me lose my tempter!" Aubrey stood still and watched him in amazement, because Connor was never one to yell at her, ever.

Aubrey, stay calm, he will not hurt you. Aubrey tried to convince herself as she wondered why Connor looked furious.

"Aubrey I'm going to need you to be very honest with me from here on out, you get it?" Connor's angry voice rang out a warning to Aubrey as she stared at him in utter silence.

Aubrey watched him run his fingers through his hair; he took a deep breath in and exhaled again. He took a few steps towards her, so close that Aubrey could almost hear him breathing.

"Aubrey, what is CJ's full name?" Connor asked her and this caused Aubrey to stop in her tracks. Aubrey fought off the fear; there was no way that she would tell Connor the truth— not now.

"Connor Jameson" Aubrey answered, hoping that that would be enough for Connor.

"Bullshit Aubrey!" Connor yelled at her as his hand landed on the side of his car, his eyes looked murderous and even Aubrey knew that she should be careful.

"So, you think I'm lying right, because that's what we poor people do" Aubrey spat out but Connor stepped away from his car and smiled at Aubrey, a cunning smile that is.

"Do you remember how I tracked down where you live? Well Aubrey I did the same with your son and my private detectives came up with your son's birth certificate"

"You can't do that; I will sue you in court for invasion of privacy" Aubrey threatened him but Connor did not seem fazed by her threats, instead he smiled as tears filled his eyes.

"How can you sue a father for wanting to see his son?" Connor's words sent a shock wave through her body; he knew the truth, that CJ was his son.

No Aubrey, do not let him scare you, he knows nothing, he is just pretending.
She tried to convince herself.

"Connor you are crazy, I think you are putting in too much hours at work" Aubrey told him, she tried walking away but Connor blocked her path.

"No Aubrey, I'm fine, just fine. What interests me most is that when I looked at CJ's birth certificate, it does not say Connor Jameson but rather it says Connor Junior. Care to explain? Connor asked her. Aubrey looked into his eyes and she knew that she was caught out, but Connor on the other hand looked as though he was about to kill someone.