CHAPTER TWELVE : TOGETHER

"What the hell are you doing here, Connor?" Aubrey asked Connor, and not once did she hide her distaste for him. However hurt Connor was, he knew that he could not blame Aubrey for the way she felt about him, and Connor knew that he had a lot of mending to do.

"I was at least hoping for a hello; welcome, it's nice to see you" Connor tried cracking a joke, but Aubrey not smiling was a clear indicator that it was best that he stopped; she still held grudges against him.

"Well, in that case, Connor, you're not welcome here. Who gave you my address in the first place?" Aubrey asked Connor, her anger clearly visible to all who could see her.

"Well, I couldn't just go to Buford and ask him for your address, so I got someone to get it for me," Connor confessed without naming his informant.

"And who may I ask, is this someone?" Aubrey asked him as she placed her hand on her hip, indicating that Connor knew not to take it lightly.

"Promise me you won't get mad at me if I tell you."

"Connor!" She yelled at him, her voice so loud that even Connor stepped back to avoid her furry. Connor could not help but smile inwardly as he once again saw Aubrey mad at him.

"Yes, Mommy!" A little boy's voice was heard as it came from within the rusty-looking apartment; this had Connor stepping out of his daydream and coming to reality once more.

"No, not you, my boy. Stay inside, okay" Aubrey turned away from Connor and told the little boy who was out of Connor's sight.

"Is your son's name also Connor?" Connor asked, amazed that she chose his of all the names that Aubrey could have named her son.

"Yes, his name is Connor. Now back to my question, who gave you my address?" Aubrey repeated her question, and this time, the look on her face was more severe than before.

"Well, I couldn't get your address, so I asked a private investigator," Connor confessed; if there was ever a time when he felt that he should have lied, then this was definitely his.

Connor, you idiot. He thought to himself.

"I should've known you would stoop so low, Connor. So rich people think you can get and buy whoever you want over right!" She yelled at him, and even though she was angry, her pain stood out to Connor. Once again, the thought of hurting Aubrey tore through his chest.

Connor turned around and saw some of the neighbors coming out of their homes to see what the commotion was about; he turned back to Aubrey, who was still mad at him.

"Look, Aubrey, I know you probably hate me right now, but could you please keep your voice down because your neighbors are starting to stare at us," He told her, but that did not seem to bother her the least bit.

"And what if they stare? In fact, I want the whole world to stare at us so that they can see you for the stalker that you are!" Aubrey told him. Connor did not blame her; hiring a private detective was the worst way he could have found her, but it's not like she left him with any other option.

"Aubrey, can you please just calm down and hear me out. I just wanted to meet and talk to you because I am still in love with you, Aubrey. I regret what I did or said to you eight years ago. I didn't mean it," Connor blurted out. He surprised himself as this went a different direction than what he planned to say when he finally found Aubrey.

Aubrey froze, her pupils widening as she heard Connor's confession. She pushed it away as much as this was a dream come true. Men like Connor could not be trusted as they always had an agenda. Aubrey gathered all the strength in her and swallowed the lump in her throat.

"Connor, I already told you I'm over it. I've moved on with my life, and everything's fine," Aubrey informed Connor, but he could not accept this from her.

"No, Aubrey, everything is not fine at all."

"And how would you know? Did your private investigator tell you that, or did you develop the ability to tell the future?"

"I don't have to have the ability to tell the future to know that not everything's okay. I just have to look into your eyes, and it will tell me all that I need to know".

She stood at her door, staring at Connor in silence, she spun around, and as she was about to walk back into her apartment, Connor grabbed hold of her wrist.

"Connor, let go of me now!" She yelled at him, refusing to look at his face.

"Aubrey, I know I don't deserve to ask you a favor or anything like that, but I was wondering if you could go out with me this Friday?" Connor asked her, hoping that she would not decline his offer.

"Connor, I can't; I have to take care of my son because there's no one here to babysit him. Unless they wanted to turn him into a drug addict or gangster and also because of school and stuff," Aubrey once again thought of all the reasons to decline Connor's offer.

"Then that's fine; bring him along. I'm sure I could find a place that will cater to the young and old," Connor tried to convince her.

"Do you mean you wouldn't mind CJ coming with us?" Aubrey asked him.

"Not at all, Aubrey; I would love for him to accompany us. By the way, I like his name CJ, an interesting name. What does it stand for?" Connor asked Aubrey, and she panicked immediately but tried her best not to show it. She could not tell him the truth, at least not now.

"Oh, um, it, it stands for Connor Jameson. And I hope I'm not being too demanding, but can we have our Saturday get-together? I feel it would be best because I am working Friday and Sunday," Aubrey asked him, hoping he would agree. Connor smiled at her; he did not care what day they went; as long as Aubrey came along, that was fine with him.

"That's okay, so let's make it Saturday at eight; I'll pick you both," Connor informed Aubrey.

"Okay, bye, Connor," Aubrey said her goodbyes, shut the door behind her, pressed her back on her door, and exhaled the breath she had no idea she was holding in.

"Bye, Aubrey," Connor whispered as he walked away from Aubrey's rusted apartment. The entire time Connor drove to his hotel, he could not help but feel regret overwhelm him as he thought of all the wasted time.

How could I have let her go? Now she is all alone raising her son all by herself. I wish I could grab hold of that bastard that left Aubrey and her son alone to fend for themselves. Connor thought as he gripped his hands around his steering wheel.