CHAPTER NINE : THE MEET

It was early morning, and Connor stood in Mr. Buford's boardroom negotiating the terms of how to expand both O'Brian industries and his company in South Africa. Connor sat in the boardroom with Mr. Buford and countless other lawyers, trying to seal their deal.

"So, you see, Connor, when I buy that land, I have my eyes on, your family can then build me a hotel. I know that this deal will bring a lot of income to your company," Mr. Buford told Connor.

Connor got up from his chair and sat back down again, but this time, he stared straight at Mr. Buford from across the boardroom table.

"Mr. Buford, I get that you're saying that both our companies are going to make money, but I want to know how much we will make? It seems that we're going to make money, but the percentage you're offering me is nothing compared to the minefield of gold that the hotel you're planning to build is going to make" Connor knew he had the old man just where he wanted him.

Connor watched as Mr. Buford's eyes twitched, his face reddened, and he ran his fingers through his hair.

Go ahead, Buford; that is precisely the reaction I want from you. Connor thought to himself.

Connor looked at his watch and saw that he had been in this meeting for at least two hours. He stood up from his chair for the second time and dusted off my expensive Armani suit.

"Excuse me, Mr. Buford, but I have to leave; I'm afraid I have urgent matters to attend to," Connor announced, authority laced in every word he said.

"It's okay, Connor. I'll call you so we can arrange another meeting," Mr. Buford informed him without fighting to keep the meeting going.

"Thank you, Mr. Buford; I'll take my leave now" Connor walked out of the boardroom and shut the door behind him. He stepped into the elevator, and it closed. Inside the elevator, he smiled at himself for his remarkable accomplishment.

Yeah, Buford, I can almost see you crack. You are falling right into my trap. Connor smiled as he thought of his meeting with Mr. Buford. Connor knew that he had the old man where he wanted him.

The elevator doors opened, and Connor walked out, not before his phone rang, and when he looked at the caller ID, it was his father.

"Good day, Father," Connor greeted his father.

"So, son, did you seal the deal already?" His father asked him as he impatiently awaited the answer.

"No, Father, I did not," Connor confidently replied.

"What do you mean you didn't seal the deal?" Connor's father yelled at him through the phone, and honestly, his father's action did not surprise him.

"It is okay, Father; Mr. Buford will arrange another meeting. But, father, I know you're angry, but trust me, Mr. Buford's trying to dupe us, and he's only offering us twenty percent of the profit."

"Okay, son, I trust that you'll do what is right for the business," his father responded calmly, something that came as a surprise to Connor, but what did not change was his father's greed.

"Yes, Father, I will. Bye," Connor ended the call.

When will my father change? Probably never? Connor thought as he smiled as he continued walking down the corridors, until someone knocked into him, sending his phone into the air and back down onto the floor.

"Darn, it!" Connor cussed at himself as he bent down to retrieve his phone. Then, Connor heard a woman apologizing for knocking on him, and he recognized the voice.

"I'm so sorry, sir, I wasn't looking where I was going and—"

**

Aubrey could not believe whom she was seeing. As soon as the man stood up from retrieving his phone, Aubrey looked right into his silver-grey eyes; it was Connor. She has been trying to avoid him, and he found her.