Dancing Girls

When I got out of the shower I slipped on my clothes and started brushing my hair wondering out to the kitchen to see how breakfast was going. Neveah of course had her music playing and her mom and her were dancing around in the kitchen. I poured myself a cup of coffee as I laughed. I couldn't believe how awake they were this early in the morning. I sat down at the table finally finished brushing my hair.

"Kara come dance!" I laughed as Neveah grabbed my hand. Heck why not I needed to calm my nerves before school anyways. Nevaeh laughed as she flipped the pancakes. We giggled and I did a funky move as I grabbed a plate that had pancakes on it. Nevaeh grabbed the bacon and her mom grabbed us drinks as we all sat down for breakfast. Nevaeh grabbed the remote still smiling and turned down the music.

"So what are your plans today girls?" Nevaeh's mom asked. I took a bite of my pancakes not wanting to think about it

"Well mom we are going to school like we do every other day!" Nevaeh giggled as her mom gave her a 'well duhh look'. "After school we will probably just drive around maybe get a snack after school. What about you?"

Nevaeh's mom's smile faded, "Your dad and I are going to the cemetery to go see your brother." Nevaeh had went a few times when she was little but she did not like to go anymore. She said she just did not feel like she belonged there. Her parents always cried and she felt out of place. Nevaeh smiled and held her mom's hand as she wiped a little tear away from her eyes. "Well you dears have fun today and we will see you tonight for supper. Kara you are welcome to stay the night again if you would like to."

"Thank you! We will see tonight I might have to go home. It is family night." I sighed, this night was the nothing even close to being a family night. Mom made dinner and we all just sat around the dinner table trying to find things to talk about and avoiding eye contact, and my brothers name. I could not believe how bad things had gotten. I really hoped that everything would get better, but everything just seemed to get worse.

"Kara we need to head to school we are going to be late." Nevaeh smiled at me as she got up to grab my plate and put them in the sink. I smiled as she came back and kissed her mom on the check. "Bye mom. Love you!" As we walked toward the door we grabbed our bags and headed outside.

"Well we will see if I survive another family dinner." I tried to smile, but it just disappeared thinking about the look my mother always had on her face as we sat down at the table with one empty chair. The first few weeks she would set his plate and even put food on it like she was expecting him to walk in the door after playing.

"I am sorry I wish I could go with you, but honestly I really do not want to." She laughed and I punched her in the shoulder as we got in the car to head to school.