Faded

When I was young my mother use to swing my brother and I around in circles until we were all laughing and couldn't walk in a straight line; our family was normal. We had a life that was easy. I could still hear the laugh of my mother as we all laid on the grass looking up at the sky. That laugh did not exist anymore it faded away, just as my brother did.

My father worked late nights and tried to forget he had us back at home. It was hard on him when my brother went missing. We used to be a big happy family, but we aren't so much anymore. Sure my dad tried to help my mother through it for a long time, but she slowly just faded away into herself.

Sure I missed my little brother, but there was not anything I could really do. It did however make me feel bad when I look at my mother and see how far she has fallen since his disappearance. Many people on the internet blamed her saying that she should have been watching him closer, and that she deserved that my brother was gone. They also said I should be taking away from her too. She has never said anything about this, but I know she has seen them.

One night I came out of my room and I could hear her crying like most nights, but this night it was a different kind of cry. A scary kind of cry, she was sitting on the computer when I walked into the office just reading. I thought about going in there, but instead I just walked back up to my room. There is no comforting my mother. I had tried many times before, but it seemed just to make the crying worse. Sometimes she would even get mad. Now I realise she was mad because I was seeing her like that. She wanted to be strong for me, she said to my father one day, but she just did not know how. Slowly she started believing she did not deserve me. Now there is nothing for us to talk about. She sits in the rocker by the window now. She does not talk there is no smile, and there is sadly no laugh.

I was okay though my best friend, Neveah, had her older brother go missing before she was born. Her parents have moved on with their lives the best way they knew how. She said maybe it had to do with the fact that her mother had just got pregnant with her when he went missing. Though she was sad, she still had a little life to take care of. So her mother was occupied, but I was old enough that I could take care of myself. So my mother now just gloated.

Nevaeh was not the type to get down. She was always happy, and very outgoing, but not the type that got crazy annoying, she was the perfect inbetween crazy. There were a few things she was crazy about, and that was boys and me of course. Though neither of us had boyfriends we still liked to look at those red shoes. Red shoes is the codename we came up with at the mall one day. We would say red shoes when we saw hot guys. It was more just a funny game we had so no one, but the two of us would know we were talking about the guys around us.