Chapter Two: Bonfire (Levi)

The last of the hay bales were stacked neatly on top of each other as I wiped the sweat from my brow. Finally I was done. After a long eight hour day working in the fields I was ready for a night off into town with my friends and my girl, Miranda. I took off my gloves and set them down inside the wheelbarrow before grabbing my flannel shirt that hung on the outside of the barn door.

The hot Tennessee sun began to set just beyond the trees as I buttoned up my shirt and headed for the truck. I climbed inside and stabbed the key in the ignition. The engine roared to life as the cold air conditioner kicked on causing me to sigh with relief. I sniffed the air again and realized I stunk to high hell as I looked at the time. Five o'clock on the dot. Alright a new record.

I put the truck in gear as I backed out slowly and waved at old man Winston sitting on his rocker. Poor guy had just lost his wife a few months ago, and now it was just him out here in the middle of nowhere. I took the job out of pity and sympathy. Heck, the pay wasn't bad either. But I was looking for something better. I turned out of the gravel driveway and headed in the direction of my home.

Nashville Tennessee. Home to the famous music row, the Grand Ole Opry, and the birthplace of Country music. I turned on the radio as I caught the tail end of the weather report for tonight's forecast. Clear skies with a low of about eighty-one degrees. Perfect night for a bonfire with friends. I walked in the front door a few minutes later and headed for the bathroom. A one bedroom house didn't provide much in the way of being homie but it worked out well enough for me so I never made a fuss.

I pulled out my phone and put it on speaker as I stripped down buck naked. A sultry female voice appeared on the other end as I grinned in response and grabbed a fresh batch of clothes.

"Hey baby," said Miranda. "Are we still on for tonight?"

"Of course. I've been looking forward to seeing you all day."

She giggled. "I can't wait." Then came a slight pause. "Are you getting in the shower?"

"You know me so well."

"Now that's not fair. You know how much I enjoy our intimate showers together."

I smirked. "I'll make it up to you baby, I promise."

"You better," she purred seductively. "See you soon."

The call ended as I locked the screen and stepped inside, closing the plastic shower curtain. Warm, clean, refreshing, the water cascaded down my body like a gentle current pooling at my feet before gurgling down the drain. I washed and scrubbed as I took my time making sure not one inch of skin was missed. I shut off the valve after a minute and stepped out as I grabbed the towel off the edge of the sink and dried myself.

I shaved the five o'clock shadow after only a week's worth of facial growth. I wanted to look nice for a change. Especially for Miranda. Afterwards, I changed into a dark blue pair of Wrangler jeans and a new flannel shirt. I grabbed the cowboy hat off the door in my bedroom before slipping into my boots and heading for the truck with my keys in hand. I gunned the engine as I backed out of the driveway and threw it in drive.

The engine made a grinding noise as I stomped on the gas pedal. Damn truck's nearly thirty years old and already it's running on fumes. I didn't have enough money to put a down payment on a new one. And the bank wouldn't let me take out a loan on a case of my low income and bad credit score. Sure I could get it fixed again but even then the bill would be outrageous. I was seriously running out of options.

I leaned back against the driver seat as I put one hand on the wheel and the other hanging from the window. My mind was racing with questions as to how I was going to pay for this heap of junk. I needed to find a better paying job and fast. I sighed and made a deal with myself to check out the classifieds tomorrow morning before work. I cranked the wheel to the right as I pulled up to Miranda's parent's house.