19. Annabelle

Ashton's POV:

Fuck.

I didn't expect to be versing them so soon. I thought I would have more time.

"Okay guys, enough with the long faces" Coach cut in and for once I was happy not to have all their attention on me. "Let's get to practice, take a warm up lap of the oval"

As the team took off in a jog I couldn't get my mind to focus. Instead I just kept my legs moving and my breathing even. It was all I could do. My future was hanging in the balance and I couldn't risk getting distracted. Memories were already clawing at the back of my mind.

La Flashback.

"Ashton!" Xavier screamed, his voice echoing across the pitch. The grounds were silent.

"Holy fuck" It was Alistair who made it to my side quickest, he'd been on the sidelines, sitting on the bench with the team. "Dude, dude, you're fucking bleeding, shit. Coach!"

"Back up back up!" Coach's voice shouted, urgency becoming clear despite his deep voice, Xavier was there now, his face briefly flashing before my eyes. Alistair didn't back up, but he also didn't know what to do. The pain was horrible. It started out numb and grew till I was screaming and didn't stop there. Searing agony burned through my veins, the horrible snap echoing in my ears over and over again.

I don't know where the other player went, he'd been here one second, and gone the next. But I really couldn't bring myself to care as pain drilled into my head, my arms burned and my legs stun. But it was my ankle that felt like it was being ripped off.

Sirens blared in the distance but they were barely heard of my endless screams. I could feel the fence against my back, the wires digging in through my shirt. I don't remember how I had gotten here but the fence was no longer cool against my burning skin. The air was humid and the smell of blood was everywhere, sticking to my skin and drowning the air.

My screams were only ended when the pain was cut short by breathes of pain reliever. The world slowly dipping into a nonessential nonsense.

The memory was harsh and glancing to the left I noticed Soraya eyeing me suspiciously from the side and shot her a smirk.

"Notice something you like?" I asked around a breath, chasing the memories away with the present.

"Just a little bit of whore still on your face" She responded and I let out a breathy chuckle.

"Well that's a little bit mean, she's not that bad" I replied, half-heartedly defending the girl whose name I honestly didn't even remember.

"I was actually talking about you"

"Harsh"

"What happened to Vanhooker? I thought you guys were a thing anyway" she stated, her hair up in a ponytail and trailing behind her. I liked the colour better, it suited her more than the pastel ones previously did.

"It's sort of a casual arrangement I guess you could say" I winked at her. Jessica and I really weren't a thing, but I don't think she saw it that way. She was the kind of girl that ripped apart those in her way just to get to the top, popularity was all and I was a way for her to get it. I didn't mind, because, despite her lack of personality she was gorgeous, and quite frankly, she was easy.

"You're a pig, you know that right?" Soraya replied, her tone flat and I rolled my eyes,

"I never claimed to be a saint" I finished and Xavier dropped back to run beside me, shooting me a curious expression.