chapter 1

"Are you going to answer that?" You would think the fact that I had been standing there listening to it ring seven times would have clued her in that I was not. Finally it stopped and a few minutes later the voicemail notification went off.  Molly looked at me and I handed her the phone. "I can't. You do it for me." She had been my best friend for 15 years so she keyed in my password without even blinking an eye and retrieved the message. Her face was stone and I could not get a read from her one way or the other. Finally she put the phone down and walked over to the fridge. "Molly what the heck are you doing?"  "Making a sandwich. We are out of mayo by the way" . I shot her a death glare and finally she burst into a huge smile. "You got the job ". I got the job. Holy shit I got the job. I think time must have frozen for a few minutes because I just stood there as those words played over and over again in my head. I got the job.

Three years ago if you had told me that I, Reagan Miller was going to be packing my bags and heading off to be the head medical trainer for the biggest sports entertainment company in  the world. I would have laughed in your face. No actually I would have cried in your face. All I really did those days was cry. My parents died when I was barely 18 and the life insurance barely paid funeral expenses. There was no money for college so I got a job waiting tables and moved in with Molly and her family. Four years later I met Evan Wright who was 100 shades of wrong for me. It took 3 years and finding him in bed with another woman the night before our wedding to make me realize that. You would think I would have been relieved to have found out what a dog he was before I married him, but it still hurt. It hurt like hell. I shut everyone out and sank into myself. So deep into myself that it took 3 therapists, a failed suicide attempt and a year in the psych ward for me to realize that I was worth saving. So I started faithfully taking my meds, forced myself  to register for classes and here I am now at 28 years old, a licensed physical therapist with a specialty in sports medicine.

"Molly, what are you watching?"  She rolled her eyes at me and said " This is the WWE. You had better sit down and start learning this stuff unless you want to make a big fool of yourself. You just got a job with this company and you do not know a dropkick from a body slam. " She got up and tossed me the remote. "Study" . Molly went into the room and I quickly changed the channel. It was a job. Someone got hurt, I examined them. Simple as that. it was not like I was actually going to watch that junk or associate with any of them outside of work.

Finally the day arrived and I was standing inside WWE headquarters. Immediately I was cursing myself for not taking Molly's advice and brushing up on  my wrestling knowledge. People were walking all around me, such a buzzing, such a busy place and I felt like such a fish out of water. I got a tour that crammed about 3 hours worth of information into 10 minutes  and had barely put my stuff into my locker when a sparsely clad blonde wearing way too much makeup came running towards me. "you must be the new doc, hurry we need you" "NO, you must be mistaken, I'm not a doctor ,I'm just..."I never got to finish that sentence because the blonde was dragging me down the hall as I protested and finally we ended up in a cool room with a wrestling ring and in the middle of that ring was another barely dressed woman flat on her back screaming in pain. "I found the new doc" blondie announced and I opened my mouth to protest again that I was not actually a doctor but I could see it was not going to make a bit of difference. by now a big crowd had formed and everyone was staring expectantly at me . I walked up the steps and a very tall man with very long hair held the ropes opened and steadied my arm as I entered the ring. I knealt down beside the woman in pain as another woman who looked just like her said "Her name is Nikki. She landed wrong and did something to her knee. Her title match is in 2 hours. Can you help her please?" I examined Nikki and after a couple of ice packs, a good wrapping and a cortisone shot, she was back in the ring.

"Good work Doc" a husky voice said from behind me. I turned to find the man who had held the ring ropes for me and this time I allowed myself the time to notice how extremely attractive he was, then of course I scolded myself for doing so. "Thanks, but I'm not actually a doctor, I'm an athletic trainer". "The chief athletic trainer, " he corrected me. "and the closest thing to a doc we have around here.. so to all of us, you are doc." I nodded and listened as he quickly went around the room pointing at everyone rattling off a list of names I forgot almost as soon as he said them. He began laughing. it must have been pretty obvious that I was feeling overwhelmed. "Don't worry Doc, you'll learn everyone's names tonight at the Raw after party. We have parties twice a week after each of the live tapings. All staff comes. See you later Doc." Just like that he was gone and I was left wondering what the hell I was going to wear to a party I had no idea  I was even  attending. So much for not associating with these people.