Chapter Ten

"Ghirahim!" I dropped the shard and ran over to him despite the searing pain in my leg. He was tense; every muscle in his body was stiff and his face was pinched up in pain.

I dropped to my knees and pulled him up in a sitting position against my chest, "Ghirahim! Talk to me! Ghirahim!"

My voice broke as I screamed his name. I examined the hole in his leg, not daring to touch it. The gaping hole was widening by the second! Like a flesh eating bacteria! This isn't good! I held his face in my hands, "Ghirahim! Come on, wake up! Wake up!" I desperately looked around for some sort of miracle. But this is it. This is what I get. I looked back down at Ghirahim, who's jaw was locked tight and his eyes were all but welded shut. A sheen of sweat had formed on his forehead. I don't know how much longer I have with him. I don't know how much longer we have to live.

I felt hot tears streaming down my face and I swallowed hard. I pulled Ghirahim to my chest, feeling the pain in my own leg spread throughout my body. I leaned over him, feeling my own head swimming. I fought for consciousness. My next words came in a whisper, "I forgive you. For everything. I'm not afraid of you anymore, and I'm sorry I couldn't say it sooner."

It might be my imagination, but I swear he relaxed just slightly. My tears rolled down my face to his chest. The strength in my arms was failing so I slowly let him down to the rocky surface. I swayed slightly, knowing I would be gone soon. We have the first shard, and now it's the end. This must be some awful joke played on us by the goddesses.

My muscles gave out and I collapsed to the rocky floor. Blackness threatened to take over me, and my eyelids grew very heavy. I'm sorry Zelda.

Something sparkled in my vision and I thought it was ironic something shiny and bright would be the last thing I ever see. Especially a heart container, because they restore life.

... So ironic.

... So awful.

...so...

I let my eyes slide shut for a moment. I was almost gone now, but as I thought back on the irony, a small spark of energy returned. It's a heart container! I slowly opened my eyes. It's only a few feet away. I can make it!

With agonizing slowness and pain, I moved my arms to support some of my weight. That didn't work. my arms simply wouldn't do it!

Okay, we'll do this the hard way.

I pressed the spiked gauntlets into the rock below me and pulled myself forward. I swear my muscles were literally ripping from the pain and effort. I moved my hands again, a little closer. Once more, a little closer.

I'm almost there, I can't give up now! My heart was pumping hard from the pain and exertion and perspiration was dripping from my face. I reached out, almost there...

My lungs fought to keep oxygen in my system, but they were giving out as well. The poison is almost through my system. I can't let it win!

My fingers were now centimeters from the heart piece. I'm... almost... there!

I took hold of the shimmering item and instantly felt all of my muscles gain their strength. The pain receded in a second and my organs were now working. I took a moment to relish in the victory when I remembered Ghirahim was still lying there. I rushed to the still form and pulled him up again. I leaned my ear to his mouth, feeling the shallow breathes. I placed two fingers to his neck and felt a normal pulse. The hole was even gone. All that was left was a seared hole in his pants. He's going to be fine!

His eyelids slowly opened, revealing the glowing yellow eyes that I almost missed. A small smile spread across his face, "You did it." The smile disappeared, "I need my sword back. I'm an excellent fighter with it. As I am I'm useless weight."

I chuckled, "Yeah I know. We'll find you something. Think you can sit up on your own a minute? I left the shard over there."

He nodded and sat up, placing his hands behind him to support himself. I moved over to pick up the small shard and brought it back to Ghirahim. He touched it and it floated to the other part of his earring, piecing itself together. His eyes glowed brighter for a moment and the dark bags under his eyes disappeared.

"The bond has strengthened. With each new shard, brings Sora and Guardian closer together, "Netti's voice rang out of nowhere. I looked around for her, but saw nothing. When I looked back into Ghirahim's eyes, my heart stopped. It was as if I was seeing him for the first time as a person. I felt like I was looking at my best friend... the feeling was so unreal.

Ghirahim smiled again and stood up. He held a hand out for me and I did the unspeakable. I took his hand and let him pull me up. Behind me was an odd, rippling mist in the air that looked suspicious. Ghirahim walked toward it and motioned for me to follow with his head, "It's a portal to the base of the mountain. Let's go."

I followed him into the mist, and it was like simply walking forward and ending up at the base of the mountain. There was no odd feeling or anything. Shaiyala was waiting there, her sightless eyes facing nothing. Her mouth was curled into a smile.

"Well done my Lord. What have you remembered?"

I hadn't yet thought about that. I looked at Ghirahim expectantly. He closed his eyes and his eyebrows furrowed in concentration, "I see... darkness... and black trees."

He opened his eyes and we both looked at Shaiyala for translation. She thought a moment with a finger on her chin. "I believe she's leading you to the Danyam (don-yom) Forest. In the heart of this forest is a small shrine guarded by the Forest Guardian Qif (kif)." She clasped her hands in front of her, "Be careful my Lord. Qif is loyal to you as we all are, but he doesn't trust anyone. He is a vicious Shadow Demon. Pay attention, listen to everything and do not let your guard down. The Danyam Forest is that way about fifty miles. Good luck." She pointed to a field full of blue swaying grass and emerald green plants.

Ghirahim nodded and pulled Shaiyala into a quick hug. I was caught up on the Shadow Demon part. My imagination went to a few frightening places. After saying their goodbyes, Ghirahim turned from Shaiyala to me. I could have imagined it, but I think I saw a slightly softer look in his eyes than there was before. "Let's go. I'm sure a shrine is easier than this mountain."

"One more thing my Lord," Shaiyala stood in front of him with a long, thin blade with a soft, purplish glow. "It seems this quest was in part to test your Sora. I deem him well suited for the task. "She held the blade out, "This was yours. The blade was forged with a tint of the toxin of this mountain. Simply touching it will do nothing. One small cut however, is deadly. So be careful."

Ghirahim took the sword firmly. The handle was intricately made with gold laced over amethysts and rubies. He swung the blade experimentally, feeling the weight. "It feels almost natural."

Shaiyala nodded with a smile, "As it should. You made it yourself."

My eyes widened as well as Ghirahim's. I observed the sword with a slight smile, "Admirable craftsmanship. Now you can fight too."

Ghirahim nudged me with his elbow playfully. Shaiyala gave him the sheath with it and he put it on his hip swiftly. "We're ready. Let's go Hero."

We waved goodbye to Shaiyala and walked in the direction of the Danyam Forest. Ghirahim stopped and looked looked at me before taking my hand and teleporting.