Chapter Twelve

The stone glowed a deep red then exploded into dust, revealing a hole. I glanced at Ghirahim with a smirk.

"Try not to almost die on me this time." I was rewarded with a shove and a roll of his eyes. The light interaction felt awkward, but almost... right. As if this is the way we were meant to interact before. This bond thing is really beginning to complicate my thinking. I can only hope that it doesn't get weirder.

My mind flashed to the moment in the mountain when Ghirahim touched me almost... affectionately. I shook my head to clear it. I can't be thinking about that now. Ghirahim hopped into the hole and I quickly followed. Inside was even darker and foggier than outside. I couldn't see the fog as much as smell or feel it, but it was definitely thicker. I could see nothing but Ghirahim's eyes and grumbled.

"Why must it always begin with pitch black tunnels?"

"This one makes sense," Ghirahim stated, "It is guarded by a Shadow Demon."

I shrugged even though he couldn't see it and we felt our way through. Unlike last time, I didn't see some light at the end. There was no light here and I just knew this was going to be interesting. If I can't see, I can't fight.

"Watch out there's-"

I placed my foot in front of me and leaned forward just as any other step. Only this time, there was no ground to support me. My pulse spiked and I panicked as I began to fall. Ghirahim reacted quickly and grabbed a fistful of my tunic before yanking me up. I stood up quickly and crossed my arms.

"You can see in here?"

I imagine he smirked, "Yes I can. Why did you think my eyes were glowing? To alert others of my presence? Now let's avoid any more traps..." He hesitated and looked at me. "I can see them instantly, but I cannot alert you in time Sykchild... I believe the best way to get through this tunnel is if I carry you."

I shook my head. No way that's happening.

Ghirahim sighed and moved quickly, scooping me up like I was a sack of feathers.

"Hey!"

"This won't take long. Just hold on tight and trust me."

I snorted, "As if!"  Trusting him was the last thing on my agenda. Ever.

Ghirahim's muscled coiled and he leaped over the pit with a graceful motion despite holding me. He landed into a crouch and quickly sprang up again. I wasn't exactly expecting him to run. He wound through twists and turns, jumping over pits and dodging flying objects. Within five minutes, we were out of that tunnel and into some place much spookier.

I scrambled out of Ghirahim's grip and mumbled, "I guess you're not totally useless." I was avoiding eye contact. For whatever reason, I felt awkward about him holding me. He was surprisingly gentle in spite of his pace, and it wasn't completely terrible.

Ghirahim didn't say anything. He merely rolled his eyes and observed his surroundings, "Personally, I would have preferred the darkness to this."

Surrounding us was a gray, eerie area made out of worn stone. A smudge- like mist settled in so thick we couldn't see very far in front of us. The air was icy cold and damp, but somehow felt alive. I frowned, "I agree with you this time." We both drew our swords and the mist shrank back. I raised an eyebrow and looked at my sword. Nothing seemed threatening about it... at least not to mist. I looked at Ghirahim's sword, and understood. The toxin that was welded into it was glowing faintly. Any mist that touched it sizzled instantly. I guess we really are dealing with some sort of living thing here.