eight // promises

josh.

I started on my run early this morning; hoping to catch a glance of what the sunrise painted. However, I got too tired to continue and my early planned run ended in a slow sleepwalk back home. It was only eight in the morning once I was able to fall back into my couch and scroll through whatever popped up on my phone. When I had left, everyone else in the house was either asleep still or out at work already. Though when I came back from my run, some coffee was brewing in the pot and mom was sitting in the kitchen looking for some breakfast.

I decided to leave her be, going to take a quick shower before I began to feel myself stink like a rotten potato. After I quickly (sloppily) cleaned the water off my body before putting some comfortable clothes on. Once I fell onto my bed, I felt all the muscles in my limbs began to burn from all the working out I've done the past month or so. I sighed, trying as hard as I could to ignore the sensation in my limbs– praying for them to stop burning. The call to my answered prayers came from my cell phone just on the floor in arms reach from my position. Ashley's name popped up on the screen, as I was mostly delighted to see what she wanted with me. A muffled 'Josh?' came from the phones speakers. "Yes, Ash? What is it?"

"Ah– uh, it's my– uh, cousin! Yes, I'm, well at the hospital right now, and, uh, they won't let me into his room since I'm apparently not 'immediate family'. Stupid, right?" Ashley laughed nervously. I chuckled back, having a small twang that she wasn't exactly telling me the truth, but I went along. "Anyways, I need help getting in, do you care to help?" She said in a low voice, a smirk most definitely plastered on her face. The feeling from a moment ago that I had felt, suddenly washed away, agreeing to help slip past the high security at this hospital. Ashley quickly named me directions and I was instantly off to the hospital, rushing to tell mom good bye as I exited the house.

I strolled past all the houses in the neighborhood, oddly noticing one in particular that I most definitely knew was none other than Jenna Black's house. I noticed it about three feet ahead, before observing how her car was absent from the driveway. Bit odd, knowing it was still so early in the morning, a strange coincidence to see. I quickly shook the observation from my mind, taking my focus on the road and toward the hospital. It wasn't long before I met Ashley in the waiting room where she recited her plan to me; just about fool prof if nobody decided to notice the two teens sneaking past the sign in desk. Ashley knew the exact room and number her cousin was located.

As a family of four came to sign in at the desk, we made our move. We came up behind them, their youngest son inching closer to his parents at the strangers standing behind them. We smiled fondly at the child, waving as a friendly gesture and he seemed to relax just a bit, but he didn't inch closer to us noticeably. As they ended the small chat with the front desk, we followed close behind them as one of the nurses ushered them to a room. So far we were unnoticed. It was until they went into their room which was miles before ours that the nurse noticed us for the first time. She rose an eyebrow at our unusual behavior, not liking the look of the situation. "And how may I help you?"

"Almost.." Ashley hissed under her breath. "Run!" We both broke for it, not daring to look back to see if the nurse was following. I heard a few distant screams come from her, but they all seemed to be staying a safe distance away from us. Once we found the room marked 21 on hallway G100 we came to a stop, taking a safe look around to make sure nobody followed us. And if I thought my limbs were burning before, they were burning in the depths of Hell now. I sighed, trying so hard to mask the pain I felt as we fell through the door. I didn't even care to take notice at the figure in the bed or the one standing in front of us before I took a much needed seat. It wasn't until after I took my seat I noticed the familiar blonde girl standing in front of Ashley and me with a hand on her hip and a silent glare toward both of us.