five // nightmares

tyler.

I was sat outside, a few cars parked in sight. I didn't pull into the driveway, feeling a bit awkward about that sort of ownership in a house I've probably visited once or twice in my childhood. I sighed as I began to slowly make my way up toward the house. I was only about a few minutes late to the time Jenna had told me, but I didn't think it'd be much of an issue. As I walked up to the small porch on the outside of the house, I knocked on the door awaiting politely to be let in. Once the door opened, reveling the familiar blue haired girl on the other side, I felt an odd relief filter through me, as if I thought this could possibly be the incorrect address.

"Tyler, hey come on in!" Ashley said in a little over-the-top peppy attitude. I weakly smiled as I followed her inside, recognizing the house's layout and furniture. Obviously a lot has changed since I had last visited, but not too much that it's totally unrecognizable. Little things that I noticed had changed, like their TV or their coffee table, wall colors and pictures on the walls. Everything else to me looked almost exactly the same, though it probably wasn't close. I followed Ashley into her kitchen, where Jenna was sat on the counter with a cup of some type of beverage. We all stayed in the kitchen, doing nothing in general, when the sound of the door opening echoed in the house. I looked toward Ashley, who had a moment of panic on her face. "I'll go get that!"

"Who else did you guys invite?" I asked as Ashley left the room. Jenna had the same moment of panic before it faded as I asked the question. She looked toward me a hint of panic still left in her eyes, trying to low-key explain the situation. I didn't exactly know the situation as it stood, but Jenna obviously did, and I was planning on getting the scoop of what it was.

"Uh- I don't know.. but I'll go check, you can wait in the living room while I go find out." Jenna nervously tried to cover up her knowledge of the plan I still had no clue about. I raised an eyebrow as I followed her out into the living room. I sat down as she seemed to go around to the front door. I sat there for a moment, waiting for whatever company was waiting at the door. Once I heard footsteps coming from the front door, I turned around to see the one person I wasn't expecting to be coming to this 'get-together'. How could I be so blind to this? Of course they invited Josh, all they want is for us to make up. I internally groaned as I stared Josh down until he noticed my presence too.

"I- um, I'm coming, Jenna! I'll be right back, uh make yourselves at home, please." Ashley awkwardly stuttered trying to get out of this tension. I hadn't even noticed Ashley, and I had no clue where Jenna had disappeared off to. All I knew now was how much of an awkward situation Josh and I were left in, alone, while I knew the two girls were probably eavesdropping in the next room, wherever they were. After just a little while, Josh made his way toward the couch just next to my seat, hesitantly sitting down. After that, we were sat in silence while Josh didn't dare tear his attention from the blank television screen. There was low music playing from a hidden speaker and some chatter coming from the kitchen, of which I assumed to be Ashley and Jenna, but other than that nothing else was distracting us from this moment.

"Uh–" Josh cleared his throat after a good few minutes. I looked up from my hands at the sudden noise, before slowly putting my attention back on my hands again, not expecting Josh to really continue his sentence. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Josh debating with himself whether he should continue or not. I sighed as I distractingly made myself more comfortable on the couch, before facing Josh and interrupting his silent debate.

"What?" I asked a bit more hostility than I had planned for it to, but I didn't act like I wanted to take it back. Instead I pushed him harder, making direct eye contact with him. He seemed caught off guard by the sudden confrontation by my forwardness, which was understandable, but I still didn't back down. He cleared his throat once again as he twiddled with his thumbs, avoiding my gaze at all costs. It wasn't until after I cleared my throat to remind him that I was still waiting when he finally stuttered up his response.