Chapter 4

As I continue working at my new job I loose track of time and realize that school has been out for over ten minutes and I still have to pick up Tate. He doesn't know I left and he's not going to. I can't let him know I skipped school he might do the same.

"Umm Andrew?" I go in his office.

"Yes?"

"I need to leave for a quick ten minutes." I ask hoping he wouldn't be mad.

"Okay." He says without hesitation.

"Whoa really?" I ask sounding surprised.

"Sammy, you're shift hasn't even started yet." He laughs and I remember that I don't work until 3:00.

"For the millionth time it's Sophie! And thank you!" I yell running out the door.

Because the school is so close I could run there in like five minutes.

"SOPHIE!" I hear Tate's small voice yell from the playground.

"Tate, are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine but where have you been? You said you'd pick me up right after school."

"S-Sorry I umm had to stay for something but I'm here now." I say and his frown turns into a smile.

"Do you want to come to work with me?" I ask and he nods.

"Good because I don't want to walk all the way home, plus you're to young to be on your own anyway." I say grabbing his hand and we begin walking back to the album store.

"So how was your day?" I ask.

"It was okay I guess. I made a new friend and he's cool." He tells me and I smile, knowing he had a better day than me.

"What about you? Did you make any new friends?" Tate has asked me that question many times before and I always reply with the same answer.

"No, not really." I say blankly.

"That's okay. You still have me!" He tugs on my arm and smiles and I smile back.

We walk into the store and a lot more people have shown up since I left.

"Can I help you?" A blonde girl with bright blue eyes asked from the counter I was standing behind not to long ago.

"Oh I uh I kinda work here." I shyly say, knowing that she was around me age, I got nervous.

"Oh you must be Sophie or Sammy as my dad likes to call you." She giggles and steps away from the counter to greet me.

"I'm Amanda. Andrew is my dad." She tells me and I simply nod.

"And who's this?" She asks referring to Tate.

"This is my little brother, Tate." Tate has always been more extroverted than me. He went straight up to Amanda and hugged her.

"Aw that's so cute." She laughs and looks at me.

"As you can see it get a little crowded in here after schools get out. Especially NorthWest, which is my school." She begins stacking CDs while continuing to talk to me.

"Yeah, I go there too." I say and she turns around with a shocked look.

"You do? How come I've never seen you before?"

"Well I haven't gone there yet but I'm starting tomorrow."

"That's great! Aw we can work together and we can go to school together! I can already tell we're going to be best friends!" She smiles at me with excitement. I just met this chick and she's already calling me her best friend. Seems a little to perky for me than again this might be my only shot at making friends. I haven't had a best friend since I was ten and it didn't end well. We got in a "fight" because I had to move again and she got mad and I've never talked to her since.