Chapter 2

I look through the windshield of the car and to my surprise there in front of me was a beaten, wooden, broken log cabin.

Can't say I expected anything better. Every house we've ever lived in has looked similar. I don't know why I thought things would be different here. Nothing's is gonna change– nothing will ever change. I'll still be a nobody where ever I go. My parents will always hate my guts and each other's. Tate is gonna be stuck with the same life I had. I don't want him to have to go through with what I went through.

I slowly step out of the car, still holding Tate's hand, and we both examine the house.

"Don't just stand there! Get your useless ass in gear or it's a week without food." Not the first time I've gotten threatened this way. They say they won't give me food, which they hardly do, but they usually give me scraps of what ever they had so they treat me like some dog. I'll often give Tate whatever they give me cause he needs it more than I do.

"Soph?" Tate pulls in my sleeve.

"What?" I say crouching down to his level.

"I don't like it here." He says giving me a pout.

"Don't worry. We'll be fine." I lied. I hate lying to Tate but sometimes that's what has to be done to spare his feelings. I don't want him to hate his life as much as I hate mine.

"SOPHIA!!!" I hear my mother yell from inside and I run inside to see what she wants.

"Yes?" I peek into the kitchen and find it just as disgusting as the outside.

"Don't use that tone with me young lady! Say yes ma'am!" She says lifting up her hand like she was about to slap me across the face, which I'm used to.

"Yes ma'am?" I quickly say before she strikes.

"Good. Now what do you think of the house?" Terrible, disgusting, looks like it could be in a horror movie.

"It's fine." I lie.

"Well I hate it." Glad we're on the same page. "Your stupid father picked it out and it's the ugliest thing I've ever seen." Wow, for once we agree. "And I need you to fix it." And there it is.

"What? I mean ma'am?!"

"You heard me! I want this place fixed up as soon as possible! Meaning now!" She yells handing me cleaning supplies.

"You've got to be fucking kidding." I whisper not knowing Tate came in the room.

"What happened?" He asks.

"N-nothing. Just go play outside." I give him a smile and he listens to my instructions.

I'm used to cleaning messes but this is far more than what I'm capable of. But of course I can't do anything about it can I?

I begin cleaning the kitchen as I'm told and I've never been so grossed out in my life. I have found many things while cleaning but I'm pretty sure finding three dead mice is not a good sign.

Two hours later I completely finish the kitchen and even though it still looks unsanitary. It's as good as it'll ever be.

"Well as least it's better than it was before. SEE DAVID, I TOLD YOU HAVING A DAUGHTER WOULD COME IN HANDY." She yells to my father and chuckles.

"Now I'm gonna need you to do the rest of the house as well." She says with a smile meanwhile I'm screaming on the inside.

"Y-Yes ma'am." I've learned from experience to never fight with my mother and so I do as she asks.

I get to my room and am startled when I see a live dove sitting on my dresser. I walk closer but it doesn't move. I slowly open the window yet it doesn't fly out.