Impartation

Chapter Ten - Nessie's POV

"I'm not sure we can trust Ciel," I cautioned my family. My twin was off making out with the girl in question while the rest of us wandered the woods. Jacob rumbled in agreement by my side, having phased to alert his and Sam's pack of the newcomer.

"I saw nothing wrong in her thoughts," Dad said with a slight frown.

"She has a shield, remember?" I threw my arms into the air in frustration. "Has it ever occurred to you that she could be hiding something from you?!"

"Renesmee," my mother said sharply. "That was a very rude way to address your father."

"Sorry, Bella, if I am a little tense being the only one concerned!" I snarled, and everyone froze in place, shocked. "After all, the clairvoyant dhampyre in our midst isn't the biggest problem - it's the Volturi she's brought down upon us! Now maybe that concerns you?"

My face felt hot in the wake of my rage, and I was sure to be flushing almost as brilliantly as Mom did before. I realized as soon as the words left my lips that they were too harsh, especially since they didn't know that -

I forcefully stopped my thoughts in their track. I would NOT think about that, because if my suspicions were correct and caused Ciel to leave, then Jay...

"I - I have to go cool off or...whatever," I mumbled, stalking past them and heading off into the woods. Jake stayed by my side, and I didn't have it in me to turn him away, too.

Murmurs rose up behind me, saying "Give her time," and "Let her be for a while." I ran faster, pushing myself farther away from my family so that I wouldn't hear the voices.

I came to a stop beside one of the rivers that marked the border between Sam's pack's territory and ours. There was a large rock that hung over the river, almost ten feet tall, which I easily scaled in a single bound. Sitting down, I swung my feet over the ledge while Jake came up beside me.

Hearing the sound of shifting bones, I kept my eyes averted until a warm arm wrapped around my shoulders. I unthinkingly leaned against him, letting out my frustration and regret with a large sigh. "I didn't mean to say that to them, but I had to hold onto my anger."

"Why?"

Tilting my head, I looked into his eyes. Jake was wearing only a pair of ragged jean shorts, not unusual attire for him, but for some reason my heart was pounding. "If we're imprints, then how come you don't touch me?"

He stiffened, tightening his grip as the words spilled from my lips. "I'm touching you right now, aren't I?"

"You know that's not what I meant." When he refused to meet my gaze, I shifted so that I was tucked in between his legs. I took his face in my hands and turned him so that we were facing each other. "Jake."

Groaning, he slid his arms down my back to rest them on my hips, so gentle that I could barely feel his touch. "Ness, I do - you can't - it's not like - "

I put a finger to his lips, unable to keep from giggling at Jake's stuttering. "I want you, Jacob," I told him seriously, leaning forward so that our torsos were pressed together. Desire, strong and uncontrollable, rushed through me as he removed both my hands only to kiss the palms. "I've always wanted you."

Jake pulled me closer, sliding his hands up my arms to grip my shoulders tightly. "You know I can't deny you anything, Renesmee," he warned me. "So please, don't make me do this."

Flinching, I pulled away. What the hell was I doing, throwing myself at him like some hormonal teenager? Practically forcing him to...to do what, exactly? Kiss me? Go to second base? I gulped, my mind whirring. Or - or maybe even go all the way?!