Elucidation

Chapter Nine - EJ's POV

Most of my family had dispersed to somewhere else in the house, herded off to start planning by my father. Mei went with them, knowing that I wanted to have some alone time with Ciel. She was obviously worried, but I couldn't uncover the reason - like she was hiding something from me. I wasn't too nervous; whatever the problem was, she wouldn't be able to keep it a secret for long.

I gestured for Ciel to follow me, and we went out the front door towards the direction of the cabin. It was quiet as we meandered at human pace, and the moon was already shining. The silver light turned the world into a different shade of color, and somehow I was tempted to lead her off the path and to my special place.

Speeding up, we ran past my home and towards the cliffs. Once there, a sharp push moved a boulder aside to reveal a narrow pass winding through the mountain upwards. Without speaking a word, I took Ciel's hand and pulled her in, closing the entrance behind us. We walked for a couple of minutes before the gentle roar of water pounding overhead began to sound.

"What is this?" she asked hesitantly, cautiously climbing over the debris and rubble that crowded the passage way.

I tugged her further until we reached the cave. "It's my place."

Her quickly indrawn breath made me grin. The large chamber was shaped like a sphere, one half filled with bioluminescent water. Bluish green waves lapped the rocky shore where we were standing, and the light made all the colors take on an aquamarine hue. Finally letting go of her hand, I walked to a weathered rock that acted as a sort of naturally formed chair.

Ciel remained where she stood, fidgeting slightly as I sat down and trained my gaze on her. The water's incandescence made her irises swirls of blue and green and violet. Those unearthly eyes met mine, wide with apprehension. "Why did you bring me here?"

"Do you know how I found this place?" I asked her instead of answering her question.

Her lips tightened in annoyance for a moment until sheepishness replaced irritation. Looking away out across the water, she quietly said, "Yes, I know."

Stretching out further, I looked up at the crystalline stalactites and replied, "Then you know my life hasn't always been easy. And though I've never had to experience the misfortune that you went through, I have known what it's like to feel that you're all alone."

The musical lilt diminished as her tone grew hard. "You can't know what it feels like to lose your entire family."

"And I hope I never have to." Ciel flinched as I rose to my feet. Walking towards her, I continued in a soft tone, "You understand everything about me, about dhampyres. So you must know how I feel - and why I feel this way."

"I do."

I paused, momentarily startled. "So tell me."

"I won't."

My teeth ground together as I continued to stalk towards her. She stood her ground, but her gaze slid to the rock beneath her feet. "Why won't you? I need to understand it."

"No, you don't," Ciel said harshly, shaking slightly as I came to a stop directly in front of her. "It's better if you just move on. I know you have other girls pining after you."

I moved my hands so that they gently settled on her waist, whispering, "But I can't forget. And there aren't any other girls."

She tossed back her hair and met my eyes, lips pursed. "Oh, really? And what about Reelie?"

"What about her?" I asked with a grin, slowly sliding one palm up her back.

Shuddering slightly, Ciel put her hands on my chest and tried to push me away, but I wouldn't budge. "She's nice, gorgeous, and most of all, safe. She doesn't carry the danger that I do - plus, she is very much attracted to you. And I know you were also in admiration of her, petite feuille."