"Now if I told you, they wouldn't be secrets anymore," I laugh as a slight frown takes place over his face. I take a deep breath before continuing, "I understand you guys wanting to wait though."

"After what happened last time, we don't want to take any chances," he says, his voice shaky as the worry starts to set in.

"It's going to be alright," I assure him, "Nothing is going to happen to either of them this time."

He gives me a small smile, "Thank you. Honestly, if you and Zea weren't here, I don't know how Layla would be doing. When she lost the baby last year, Zea was the only one she would talk to. She brought the smile back to my mate's face. I will never be able to repay you both for making my mate happy again."

I turn back to the perfect angel running around the field, "That's what she does. She makes people happy, just like she does for me."

We watch in silence as Layla and Zea continue to pick flowers and chase each other around the field. It is a perfect day, filled with happiness and laughter.

Until the peace breaks.

Layla and Madden freeze as horror crosses their faces. Their eyes gloss over as they are pulled into a mind link.

In a split second, the perfect day comes crashing down as the first horn wails out over the trees. As each horn blares, fear seeps into my bones. The sentries around the pack only sound for one thing.

Rogues.

Rogues crossed the border, one of the sentries calls out in the pack link.

"Layla!" I hear Madden scream next to me before he takes off across the field to reach her and Zea.

But he doesn't reach them in time.

Rogues start to pour out of the woods in a blind rage as they charge toward the Alpha's house and the pack house. The move in a frenzy as blood of our pack members soak their clothes and cover their features in the sticky, dark substance.

"Zea!" I scream over the snarls of the hoard of rogues emerging from the trees.

The second my voice reaches Layla's ears, she snaps into movement and runs toward the little girl she had come to call family. Zea's little arms wrap around her neck as she sweeps into her arms and runs toward the house.

I can hear the stomping of the rogues as I push my legs to sprint faster toward my little girl. My only thought is to protect my child.

Layla! Get down! Madden yells through the pack bond.

Layla drops as Madden sails over her in his wolf form, charging into the middle of the rogues threatening the lives of his mate and family.

"Layla!" I make it to their side, pulling my daughter into my arms, "We need to get out of here."

I look back to see Madden fighting off a handful of crazed rogues. I hear Layla whimper and snarl as we watch a rogue take a swipe at her mate.

"What? No, I won't leave Madden here to fight without me!" she growls. I grab her arms to stop her from moving forward.

"You don't have a choice," I argue back as I try to pull her toward the other side of the field, but she continues to fight me as more of our pack comes out of the woods to join their Alpha on the battlefield, "Listen to me. You are pregnant!"

My words halt her movement for a moment as I reason with her.

"You can't be here and protect your child."

"I can't leave Madden."

"You will only put him in danger by staying," I say over the roar of the raging war, "Being here is a distraction that will get him killed. We need to run."

She nods her head as we take off to the forest. We run deep into the underbrush before Layla pulls me to an abrupt stop.

"What are you do-" she slaps a hand over my mouth as she moves us down to the forest floor in a crouch.

What is it? I ask her over the pack bond.

Her voice shakes as she replies, The rogues, they weren't just attacking us. I saw a few of them taking blood.

Blood? Why would rogues need- A memory of the past runs across my mind, It's him. The rogue who captured me after I left my mate.

How do you know? She asks me as my fear for Zea grows.

I shake off her question, knowing I don't have time to explain it all, I need you to take Zea.

Where am I supposed to take her? We are surrounded by rogues.

Take her to our closest allies. They will be able to protect her, I say, hesitation clearly in my voice.

What? You want me to take her to Black Stone? He will kill her on sight, he told you he would, she argues with me to reconsider this choice.

I know what he said, I tell her, my eyes drifting to the frightened little girl I am holding in my arms. She cries silently, aware of the danger around her, But no one would go against him.

But if he recognizes her-

He won't. Tell him that she is your daughter.

He won't believe that, she argues with me, The second he sees you, he will know that she's his.

My eyes sink to the ground as I speak back to her, my voice heavy, That's why I'm not going with you.

No! She cries to me, If you stay here, you will be caught or worse.

I shake my head at her, They won't kill me. Not until Cortez gets what he wants, I gently stroke Zea's hair as she snuggles into chest, and he will never get it. Just keep Zea safe.

I promise.

Quickly kissing my daughter on the forehead, I silently say goodbye as I place her into Layla's arms

Stay strong, I send those last words to her as Layla takes off with her towards the one place I swore never to return to.

Back to her home.