Chapter 52 - Sharing A Secret

Start from the beginning

"Claire?" Desaree's voice filtered through her thoughts. "Whatever is the matter with you today? Did you not hear what I said?"

Her head pulsed momentarily as several Drengr voices pounded against the magic of the Aegan. She'd have to take a stronger dosage tomorrow. "I'm sorry, Des. I got caught up in my own thinking. I didn't mean to ignore you." They were on their hands and knees, pulling weeds from the planter boxes. She buried her face in oregano, inhaling deeply. It cleared her mind.

Desaree had her face down as she worked, but glanced at her. "Oh, do not fret over it. I only wished to know your opinion of the king's speech." The morning before last, a big announcement had been made, and although the servants were not permitted at court, that didn't stop them from eavesdropping. One thing she'd learned was, the servants loved gossip the way school girls did.

"I think the king was right to tell everyone about the dragons," she said. "Our people need to know. We need to be prepared." She hesitated, surprised by her own words. Our? Was she considering herself a part of Dragonwall already? That was hardly right. She shook her head, feeling the frown that pulled at her lips. She reached for another cluster of weeds. These people were not hers.

"Perhaps it was the correct thing to do," Desaree said, "but dragons? No one believes it, least of all me."

She sat back on the heels of her feet and looked at Desaree. "Why ever not? The king wouldn't lie."

"Well because..." Desaree paused. "Because dragons are extinct. I know you do not understand much of our history, no offense. But know this. Dragonwall rid itself of dragons tens of thousands of years ago. They cannot simply spring into existence."

Desaree's point was fair, but that didn't change the facts. With dragons threatening the North, the South would struggle to believe it. They were too far removed from the action.

Her heart ached for the losses suffered by those of the North as a result of the wild dragon attacks. That thought also surprised her. Once more she reminded herself that this was not her world. Why should she care what happened to it? Yet, she did care! She found herself more and more concerned with each passing day.

She sighed. "You're right, Desaree. I may not be from here, but I do believe the king. If dragons are back, then we all have a right to know. Furthermore, we've got to do something about it."

Desaree pursed her lips and returned to her work. She clearly didn't want to believe the truth, and she wasn't the only one. The last day saw more rumors than she was used to, but all the same arguments. Everyone conjured reasons for why the king would proclaim the existence of dragons. They were beginning to believe he'd gone mad. She didn't like Talon very much—actually, she hated him—but she knew one thing with certainty. Talon wasn't crazy.

Attempting to right the matter, she looked over at her best friend. "Des, we both heard the Drengr's cry last week. The sounds they made when they took to the skies in unison, their sorrowful crying, it was heart-wrenching. I know you cried over it. When I heard it, I did too. They wouldn't have done that for nothing."

"You truly believe wild dragons are the culprits of those deaths?"

"I do. And there are more than just dragons to worry about." She didn't want to elaborate further because that required talking about Kane. Fortunately she didn't have to. Tess materialized. Claire blinked at her sudden appearance. She'd come from a door in the garden's wall, covered by ivy.

"Oh, dearie me!" the head woman professed, her face turning a deep shade of agitated red. "I didn't think you gals would be out here in the heat of day!" She held a basket in the crook of her arm, filled with fabrics, a couple of books, and numerous sherry bottles. There was guilt written all over the woman's face. She looked behind her to where the ivy had fallen back into place, then back at them. The moment was clear enough. There was a secret door, one that led to the city, one that Tess didn't want them knowing about.