Just as he was turning, the sounds of the slaughter he had just ordered beginning to ring out behind him, something forced him to pause. His wolf, who had receded from his mind sulking at the death and destruction he had wrought, suddenly perking up, rising to the surface in alertness. Without really thinking about it, and without knowing why, his attention was pulled to the West. To the slight rise that was covered in perfect white flakes, sparkling and shimmering in the cold air, the tundra wild and free, spilling out unbound behind it. He had chosen to bring the fight only to its edge, just beyond the wild forests of the North, keeping them at his flank. His back pressed to the thick and heavy forests; a secure and easy escape route, just in case things went south. 

His eyes widened as he looked up. He sensed as his wolves' attention down below began to shift as well, drawn up and to the top of the hill.

"It can't be." Robert mumbled. So mesmerized he wasn't even aware he had spoken until Gerad responded to his words.

"Can't be what? Have you finally lost it, Rogue Alpha?" Gerard Hastram's tone turning mocking and patronizing on his title. "Finally given in and descended into the madness? Can't say I blame you really, not considering the riff raff you run with nowadays."

"Shut up." Doyle snapped, his eyes not straying from the crest of the hill.

"What did you say dog?" The Semper Alpha demanded arrogantly, a growl rumbling from his chest before being cut off as he finally realized the battle cries and sounds from below, had fallen quiet. His head started swiveling, searching for what had changed, for the source of the shift that had caught them all. "What the f*ck-"

His words cut off, as he too finally looked up.

Looked up to where a massive brown and grey wolf stood proud and menacing. Bigger than any wolf present, save for the blue-black one who had fought so desperately and relentlessly below. His eyes were pitch black, dangerous and filled with a promise of violence. But, it was not the wolf that they stared at, that held their attention, although the Guardian wolf was definitely a sight to behold in his own right. No, it was no the wolf, but the sight of the tiny figure perched on his back, clothed in black, hair of silver, and skin of winter's touch as if she was the moon incarnate, which froze them. Anger and rage cloaked her, righteous fury and condemnation blazed in her eyes. 

She was mesmerizing. 

And unmistakable.

Slowly she dropped from the wolf's back, her hand lingering in a moment of soothing touch against his neck, while her eyes swept over the sight laid out before her.

For a minute it was only her they could see, but then shapes began to materialize around her. The sound in the air registered in their minds as the shapes on the hill focused and sharpened. Paws. It was the sounds of paws beating against the ground that was echoing around them. Paws drumming across the land, across the world, carrying with them the fire and hope she had ignited. 

A second wolf appeared, a small girl with hair like the deepest twilight atop his back. She jumped down, moving comfortably to the other girl's side. And then another wolf appeared beside them. And then another. And another. 

Wolves of every shape, color, and size began to appear. The thousands of paws that had beat across the world, which had sung the cry of hope and war, coming to stand on a hill, at the edge of the forest.

They were mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers, daughters and sons, friends and lovers. They were the down-trodden, the marginalized, the weak, and the lesser. They were the hunted and persecuted, the hurt and the broken. The scared and the hopeless.