Chapter 4: A Deadly Choice

You finish painting the final bit of the wall your favourite colour, and then slump onto the ground, completely wiped out. The pendant now lies hidden in a secret vault underneath your floorboards. Under the wood, there's three layers of obsidian before dropping down into a secret vault with a passcode. There, a secret chest with the pendant lies.

It should be midnight about now, so you head downstairs to find the pendant glowing and shaking. You pick it up.

"Hello?" You say.

"Hello, Y/N. My messenger couldn't pick up tonight, so I decided to answer myself." Zane's arrogant voice sounds from the opposite side of the pendant. You shiver form the cold of being underground, surrounded in obsidian.

"Well. I didn't find out much today-" You begin.

"Well, save your words, I have something to tell you today." Zane says. "In two weeks, head to the secret entrance they are building, and turn off the traps. More O'Khasis spies will then come in, but they won't reveal themselves like you have."

"Alright." You say, inwardly crying.

"Oh, two months and one week left before you come back to O'Khasis to become my wife. Bye-bye!" The pendant dies down. You hold in tears as you place the pendant back in the chest. You climb the ladder and replace the obsidian. You climb into bed and drift off.

***

It's four in the morning, you were woken up by a loud noise, and you can't get back to sleep. You get up, and stand, yawning. You quickly slip upstairs, and open the door, enjoying the cold night air. The sun hasn't begun to rise yet. It's sometimes dangerous to walk in the night, so you keep a dagger in a hidden pocket in your shoe.

You stare up at the stars, Phoenix Drop has an amazing view of them. All of a sudden you're falling towards the ground. You've tripped on a loose piece of cobblestone. You curse and the sight of blood running down your arm, a medium sized cut has opened on it.

"What was that?" You freeze. Aphmau comes walking down the street, and you down scramble out of her way quickly enough, she notices you bleeding on the ground. Her eyes widen.

"Are you okay?" She asks, taking a look at your arm.

"I'm fine." You lie. In reality, it's stinging badly.

"Well, at least let me give you a band-aid." She sifts through her backpack, and produces one. She gives it to you.

"Thanks, Aphmau." You smile, and place the band-aid on your left elbow. She walks away. You contemplate stabbing her. No. She knows that you're here, it's too risky. You then notice Garroth on the balcony of the old guard tower, looking at Aphmau. You don't think he knows you're here. If you bring him back to O'Khasis, you'll be out of your marriage to Zane!

He disappears off the balcony, and you hear footsteps and he comes down the stairs, and walks outside. You need to intercept him before he reaches Aphmau! You quickly pick up a pebble and throw it at him. It hits him on the side of the head. He turns towards where you are, and starts coming towards you. You slip into the shadows silently, from tree to tree. He stops, and looks around.

This is your chance! Zane would literally destroy you for passing up a chance like this! You dash forward and slam him on the head with the hilt of your dagger, he sways, and you smash him again. He falls to the ground, still not unconscious. He opens his mouth to call for help, but you hit him one more time. Just as his eyes close, you can tell he saw you.