“Oh,” the teacher said, “Found your way here through the Candy Cane Forest now did you?” he chuckled and went back to sorting papers.

“Mianhe.” the boy said in a very soft, almost nonexistent voice. Ah, the voice from earlier.

“Mwo? Oh, nonsense. It’s the first day, I won’t be giving out any lates today, just find a seat son.” the teacher said with a comforting smile as he gestured towards the seat next to mine. The boy looked a bit shocked, as if shocked by his kindness, and he took a seat in the desk to the right of mine. He put his bag on the ground and took out a book. He began reading the book as if no one else was around.

As soon as he started reading, everyone in the seats around him scooted away from him. They all moved their desks in the opposite direction a good 2, maybe 3, feet. I was the only one who didn’t move. They all looked at me like I was crazy. Everyone started whispering to their neighbors, occasionally glancing over to the boy, who never looked up from his book. When Mr. Harris was done with the papers he stood up and sat on his desk. When he saw how everyone moved their desks, except for me, he looked a little shocked.  He looked at the boy, and at me, but he seemed to let it go.

“Well… Let’s take attendance shall we?” he asked.

We all faced him and stood up saying “here” when we were called.

“Ae Sook.”

“Here.”

“Bong Cha.”

“Here.”

“Chin Ho.”

“Here.”

“Chung-Hee.”

“Here.”

He called names for an eternity. Fuwahh~ I didn’t know my homeroom class was so big…

“Yeon YooNa?”

“Ah, yes! I mean, here!” I said as I stood up and waved my hand with a bright smile. I heard some people laugh a bit at my energy. The teacher looked up from the attendance sheet, examined me for a moment, and then smiled. I smiled back and sat down.

“Ahn Daniel.”

“Here.”

It was dead quiet as the boy sitting next to me stood up. The teacher looked up at him, no one moved an inch.

“I said I’m here.” he announced and sat back down in his seat. Back to his book. Just then the bell rang and the class was dismissed. All of the students left the classroom, in somewhat of a hurry, glancing at… Daniel? Yeah, his name is Daniel. Well they kept looking at him, like they usually do. I tried to follow him to see what he was up to. To see if we could be friends, but he disappeared, I had no clue where he went.