Chapter 41 - A Step Towards You

Photo: Lily

Song: The Only Exception, by Paramore (I think this may actually be the perfect song for them)!

...................................................

Noah:

The last few days passed by in a blur, filled with numerous neurological and physical tests. It was draining and mentally exhausting, but sitting in the hospital bed with my family surrounding me, things seemed to finally be looking up. Lily had never left my side, even when my family told her to leave and get some rest. And even when I told her to, she just wouldn't go.

I smiled to myself as I watched everyone chatting and laughing. Lily was sitting on the bed next to me, her fingers entwined with mine like always. JJ was sitting in between us and our hands were resting in his lap. My parents were chatting to Jackie and Rich, huge grins on their faces. Watching everyone looking so happy and relaxed was wonderful to see, so I didn't want to ruin it for them. And I especially didn't want to ruin it for Lily.

I turned towards her. She still took my breath away. Just like she had done the very first time I had laid my eyes on her. She was laughing as Jackie chatted to her, and her smile was the very thing that I had been waiting to see.

If she knew I still had flashbacks, her smile wouldn't be as bright so for now, I'd deal with it on my own. Lily was my priority, just like she always would be. I was still looking at her as she glanced in my direction, a small smile on her face. Her eyes met mine and I squeezed her hand, reassuring her that I was okay. But as JJ shifted on the bed slightly, a sharp pain tore through my side and I cried out, clenching my eyes shut as the shooting pain coursed through my entire body.

"JJ, I told you to be careful," my mother scolded, before reaching over and pulling him off the bed carefully. "Let's just give Noah some space. You can sit on my lap for a while."

"I didn't mean to," JJ cried, tears pooling in his eyes.

I opened one eye as the jolting pain subsided. Taking a deep breath, I looked at him and plastered on a smile, despite the ache I felt running through my side. "Relax little man," I grinned, trying my hardest to ignore the pain. "These things happen, there's no need to worry about it."

But my smile faltered as JJ continued to sob quietly. If there was one thing I couldn't bear, it was seeing my little brother cry. Reaching out my arm gingerly towards my mum, I motioned to the bed and whispered quietly. "Let him stay with me. It's okay."

"We're just worried about you," my father said softly, patting JJ on the shoulder as he continued to cry. "We don't want to do anything to make your injuries any worse."

I nodded in understanding, but I was still unwilling to see JJ unhappy. "Come on buddy, come on back over here," I said, grinning when he looked up from my mother's shoulder, his eyes red. "You want to know something?"

"What?" he asked.

"Well, it's your hugs that are making be better."

"Really?" he whispered, his eyes widnening as he looked up at me. "They are?"

Lily scooted off the bed and took a seat in the empty chair. I watched as she lifted JJ from my mother's lap and placed him beside me as carefully as she could. "Oh he's telling the truth buddy," Lily smiled. "Your hugs are like magic."

Laughing softly, I held out my hand and JJ placed his in mine gingerly. His eyebrows furrowed as he concentrated on moving slowly so he wouldn't hurt me. Man, I really loved that kid. Once he was settled, my eyes met Lily's and I smiled at her. She hadn't left the room in almost two weeks and had relied on Dean and Jen to bring her the things she needed. Lily didn't have an ounce of makeup on, and her hair was all over the place and she was just dressed in her grey sweats and her t-shirt, but she still looked like the same beautiful girl that had stolen my heart.