Chapter 5 (Feelings and Trust)

Edward (POV)

My eyes were wide as I took in the sight of the man on his knees. Don't get hard. Don't get hard...

"Stop." I said quickly and rushed to him. His eyes glanced up at me in fear and confusion as I helped him to his feet. "The ground is freezing! I would know," I said glancing at his body as he shook a little. I took my jacket off quickly and held it out for him. What was I doing? But now that I was closer, I got to have a close-up of him and I noticed that he look strangely familiar. "Take it," I instructed and he didn't hesitate to wrap it around himself.

"Umm," he muttered. "I -I'm sorry sir, I didn't know t -that you were the prince. I swear I never -"

"It's ok," I whispered and took a step back. "Why do you look familiar?" He blushed and looked down, his freckles lighting up. Wait... "Jack?" I asked. He looked up at me, amusement in his eyes.

"Rose?" He asked then slapped a hand over his mouth, his eyes wide. We both stared at each other before laughter bubbled out of me. I laughed so hard that my stomach hurt, but he looked petrified.

"That was good," I said regaining myself. He still had a look of distress, but once he noticed I wasn't going to do anything, his eyes lit up again.

"It's been a while," he murmured and I nodded a little breathless.

"Well, you surely don't look like you're seven," I said which caused him to laugh a little. He crossed his arms over his chest as we stood there staring at each other.

"You know, I kinda feel obliged to hit you since you left me so long ago," he said before glancing up at my face. When I rose my eyebrows his eyes widened and he looked down. "I m-mean um..." I stepped closer to him, but he didn't look at me.

"Jack, its fine." I said and he nodded glancing up at me. He was so... submissive. Shit. I walked over to the rock and hoped on top, conscious of his gaze on me the entire time. "Sit," I commanded, though I didn't sound harsh, giving him room to not come if he wished. He froze for a moment before walking over and sitting down next to me. We sat in silence as I watched him fiddle with the edges of my coat. He was about as tall as I was but he was skinnier, which caused it to be bigger in some places. "You do have the right to hit me," I said to him and his head shot up.

"No -no! That was stupid to say. I know what happened after you return to your place..." he trailed off and looked out into the trees, "It was really stupid." I watched him for a few moments before glancing off to the stars. I don't think he said anything stupid. He had the right to be upset if the relationship we had at that age was anything close to what I remember. We acted like best friends and considering our age, we could've been.

"I counted you as a best friend," I said narrowing my eyes at the sky. "My parents didn't -don't really care about me and it only got worse after Alexios..." I sighed and turned my gaze to the ground. I could feel his eyes on me and all I wanted was for him to tell me it was ok. "Though we only met twice, I felt like you a real friend. Someone who wouldn't treat me as royalty or as trash; but as a person..." my voice trailed off into a whisper towards the end. We sat in silence for a while as he turned my words over in his head. Did I say too much? Did I ruin what could've been?

"I treated you like that because I didn't know who you were!" he exclaimed suddenly causing me to glance at him with wide eyes, but he wasn't watching me anymore. "You should've saw my pops, he was ablaze when I told him." He chuckled and leaned on his hands to throw his head back. I studied his face as he thought of what to say next. His eyes were shut and his hair was hanging towards the rock. There were a few pieces of dirt clamped into it and I resisted the urge to run my hand through it when he spoke up again.