Chapter 2 (The Day it all Changed)

"Prince Edward! Time for lunch!" Nana, (Edwards and Alexios' motherly maid servant), called from downstairs. Edward had been in his room almost all day, thinking of a way to get back to his new friend. Today was the day that they promised to meet up again and Edward was having trouble finding a way to escape. Security around the borders had tripled since his last attempt and his mother and father refused to let him outside any longer than an hour. If Edward hadn't known that they were only doing this because it had a bad reputation, he would have felt happy that his parents cared so much for him. But, he would find a way to Jack no matter what. Jack had made him feel normal for the day and no one was gonna take that from him.

"Prince Edward?" Nana called again.

"Coming Nana!" He shouted and swung his feet off the bed. He swung around to grab the notebook he had been writing in. He closed the page with a heading that said, 'Ways to escape'. Conspicuous? I think so but what are you gonna do? The kid's 10. Edward finally swung off the bed, his pencil and notebook with him as he opened his door and walked down the steps. He tried his best to ignore the creepy looks of the portraits beside him as he descended the steps.

He could still hear his father's words to his older brother every time his feet took him down these steps, "One day," his father told Alexios, ignoring a baby Edward bounding after his father like a lost puppy, "your face will be placed among the other kings." He froze at a portrait of himself, "just as mine has." A small smile grew on the king's face.

"What about me?" Edward asked with enthusiasm. His father swung quickly and glared down at his bouncing infant.

"Only kings are placed up here, and you are certainly not one." Edward new what that meant despite him being only 4, his father didn't think he would be a good enough person to rule over the land. He wasn't worthy. Edward remembers his face falling and tears pooling into his eyes. His father groaned and flicked his wrist in Edward's direction before tumbling off. Edward remembers Alexios bending down and placing them both on a step, his hand rubbing soothing circles into his younger brothers back.

"It's okay," Alexios murmured, "I think you would be an awesome king." He said. This only made it worse. It made it worse because now Edward knew what made Alexios better than him.

Edward shook his head as he quickly walked past the looming portrait of his father, he didn't want to remember any of his past. Hell, he didn't even want to remember two weeks ago, when he still thought his parents loved him. He had matured recently, and that didn't scare him, it made him stronger.

Edward walked into his big kitchen and hopped onto a chair that connected to the kitchen isle. He puffed his black hair out of his face and glanced at his Nana with his wide, green eyes. His Nana smiled kindly at him and placed his lunch down; a small turkey sandwich with mustard and mayonnaise. She also put varies berries around the plate and placed a cup of milk down on the table. "Eat up!" She said cheerfully. Edward didn't hesitate to dig in, but froze when he saw only one plate.

"What about Alexios?" Edward asked and gave an apologetic smile when she turned to scold him for talking with his mouth full.

"He's... out with your father dear, he won't be back until later." Nana was hesitant to tell the little prince that since he always hated to not have his brother with him, especially when his brother was off doing duties to prepare to be king.

Edward huffed and ate even more quickly, now with the new knowledge that the king wasn't here, he wanted to find a plan to escape... That's it! Edward exclaimed in his head. Since his father and the future king were out, most of the guards would be gone off with them...

"What about mother?" Edward asked his Nana, whose gaze was questionable at the happy look on his face.

"Why, she went out with a few friends, isn't 'pose to be home 'till dinner..." Edward nodded happily to his Nana.