Chapter 3 (Not my Place)

Seven and a half years later:

"Edward!" my mother's drunken slurs called to me from my perch on the window seat. I have been up here since I finished my training. I usually retired up here to get away from my family, who constantly decided to maltreat me; and from my tutor, Albert, who thought it was appropriate to constantly shove me at any person that didn't have a dick between their legs. Albert has been urging me to find a 'princess' despite my thoughts on the matter. He didn't seem to care that I wasn't looking for a princess or that I may not ever find one, (he also doesn't seem to care that my preferred taste happens to be in 'princes'; though I've never told him that). He just knows it's my, or his, duty to find one. My parents hired him when I was eleven to prepare me to be a king, and his job was to make me one. And so far, he has done a pretty good job in my book. Though, my parents may say otherwise. There was a reason he was hired. It's because no matter what I did with my father, I was never good enough. So, he hired someone else so he didn't have to look at me. When I was smaller, it hurt; but now? You should be lucky if you see me smile.

"Edward!" my mother snapped and I swore. I snapped my drawing book closed and shoved it underneath my bedsheets. Nana had given it to me for my 15th birthday, when she realized that reading and drawing were two of my favorite things to do. I had come to the realization that my parents had forgotten I even existence so, I was used to no presents. But, every year, Nana had come and given me something. Despite her not having enough money for her own family, she never forgot to give me something for my special day. And she wouldn't fail for my 18th one a week from now.

I bounded down the steps, scared of what I was to face as I met the wife of the devil. Ever since Alexios... well, ever since that night, my mother and father had never been the same. If you thought that my father cheating, (yes I remember that night), or my mother going on tantrums was bad, well, Alexios leaving only made it worse. For crying out loud my father hired a man to tutor me in being a king! Even though he knew the rules about the 'father teaching the prince' to be a king, he refused to. I also hardly ever saw the man's face except when I had to sit on my throne. Even then I couldn't do that for long as I saw Alexios' chair sitting there with no patron. My father refused to have me sit there, he believe I would never be worthy of his seat. And maybe my father had a point.

"What are you wearing?" my mother said, scrunching up her nose in distaste as I stood in front of her. Despite her drunken actions, she was still beautiful. She had a green, tight –fitted, velvet gown that went to the floor and sleeves that wrapped around her arms tightly. Her wavy, brown locks were half piled in a bun atop her head and half down and her crown was place graciously on her head. She never failed to look amazing.

"I wasn't aware of the time mother, I am sorry for my dressing." I looked down at my blue jeans and black shirt with no shoes. Why was I so stupid?

"Is this how you think you should present yourself? On a day filled with misery?" My mother snapped. I opened my mouth in reply, but a sharp sting on my cheek caused my head to turn to the right. "This is your fault this is happening!" She seethed, "don't forget that you are just second place to him!" I didn't dare answer and kept my head in the same position as she bounded off. Tears welled in my eyes but I held them back. I willed my fist to clench and my nails to dig into my palms. I tried to control my breathing. What would Alexios do? I thought over and over.

I felt a warm hand on my cheek and smooth my mother's fury. I took a deep breath and smiled at my Nana. "I'm fine, Nana," I whispered, gripping her hand and laying a kiss in her palm. I could see the worry in her eyes but I ignored it as I turned to head back upstairs.

Of course, my mother was right. How could I forget a day like this? How could I be worrying about my birthday in a week when today was the day Alexios was brought into this world? I deserved that slap for it. Alexios would be ashamed.