ღ Finding Cinderella (29)

Start from the beginning

He passed out the questionnaires and said, "Don't even think of cheating. I'll know," before walking out of the room to chat with another teacher. They stood by the open door, their figures visible through the narrow gap.

Clark cursed under his breath as he looked at the paper. "I don't think I've seen these numbers my whole life."

Without breaking a sweat, I began to answer. Heh. Thanks to my Dad for lending me his books. Math was simply a breeze for me.

Not even two minutes had passed when someone threw a crumpled paper ball at me. I twisted my head around to see Will leaning over his desk and craning his neck. We were prohibited to sit close to each other to prevent cheating, but that didn't really stop anyone.

"Dude, make your writing bigger. I can't see it," Will hissed.

"Did I say you could copy off me?" I hissed back.

"T, come on. I gotta get out of here fast. I got a date with Monique, and I'm not gonna miss it on account of this stupid test!"

Same, dude.

"Do you have the answer to number four?" I heard Clark ask.

"Google that shit, man. I'm as clueless as you," Will shot back. "C'mon, T. Just give us some."

"It's just about derivatives. We tackled it before," I said.

"Son, stop speaking in tongues."

Rolling my eyes, I picked up the crumpled paper, smoothed it out, and wrote some answers. I looked at the door again, making sure Mr. Cross wasn't peeking, before throwing back the paper at them.

"Get good, you boneheads," I said.

They scrambled out of their seats to catch it, laughing their asses off.

Everyone settled down when Mr. Cross entered the room and reclined in his chair like a king on his throne, a smug look on his face. But that look soon fell when I grabbed my backpack and headed to the front, handing him my paper. I could hear my friends muttering profanities behind my back.

Mr. Cross gave me a hard look before examining my answers.

"Have you picked out a school, Mr. Hartford?" he asked.

"I don't need to sweat it out, sir. MIT has always been my top choice," I told him.

"But are you certain you're going to be their choice?" His tone was challenging me.

I cocked my head to the side. "Come on, Mr. Cross. Why would I doubt that? I learned from the best." The best, meaning my Dad, but I made it sound like I was referring to him to gain his favor and let me get out of this room.

He arched a gray eyebrow. "Flattery may get you anywhere, Mr. Hartford, but a good work ethic is still a must."

"I was only late once."

"Twice. One was in November."

What? I couldn't recall my first tardiness, but I didn't let it bother me. Kylie must be getting tired of waiting for me at the coffee shop, and this old man in his stiff-looking brown suit was deliberately keeping me here.

"Okay, but I had answered your test perfectly as I did just now, right?" I said impatiently.

Mr. Cross looked at my answers again and made a tight smile. "You're dismissed."

"WHAT!" Clark and Will hollered. I was surprised that they'd been eavesdropping.

It was my turn to put on a smug look as I marched out of the room, determined that no one was going to mess this afternoon.