Don't Wanna Believe (15)

Chapter 15

‘We need to get back to my apartment. I left all the things I nearly died – again – for there. Including the book and my normal, or well, as normal as possible, clothes. ‘

‘I really hate you, you know that. First you make me spew, then you make me face my sister, then you make me fall on my arse, then you’re going to make me spew again. And you “forgot” to mention your freaky teleportation powers.’ Will made a face and Mona laughed.

‘I can assure you, the feeling’s mutual.’ I reassured him, not quite sure he’d got the message when I’d nearly strangled him. His mood immediately darkened with my sarcastic comment but I disregarded this; I needed the paper, the book and a very special artefact hidden inside a hollow book on my bookshelf.

A twig snapping made me whirl around. If the situation hadn’t been so…complicated, it probably would’ve looked awesome, cape flying, harsh look in my eyes. But this was a complicated situation.

Out from behind the tree situated in the middle of the field stepped Cecilia. If any blood had been left in my face it would have drained.

My façade disappeared, replaced by pure terror. How had Cecilia found me here? I’d come here after the robbery, after everything. I felt dizzy. The world blurred and I felt it tilt. No, that was me. I’d fallen to the ground.

I gripped the grass and soil, digging my fingers into an anchor to reality. Will and Mona’s feet pounded over and I gasped, choked.

I couldn’t figure out what was happening. Ghosts couldn’t get sick; as many things as we could feel, pain and illness wasn’t one of them. The only way we could feel pain was if our soul twin felt it. And even then, it was a totally new concept to me.

All too suddenly the world went dim. I gripped the earth harder, forcing the granules between my fingers.

‘C-Cecilia,’ I choked out before I slipped into the void.

‘D-a-n-i-e-l. Dannnniel. DANIEL!’ Mona’s voice sharpened and I became aware of  a hand waving in front of my face.

‘What happened?’ I asked and I heard Will slapping his knees.

‘Well, lets see, you fainted, said my sister’s name and made this deranged grunting noise.’ Will smirked down at me as I propped myself up, rubbing my temple gently.

‘I saw your sister, but, I think I may have hallucinated or something. Doesn’t matter though. Now, lets get back to my apartment.’ I was too shaken to analyse it. Was I getting sick? That would be bad. Very bad.

Mona obliged and grasped my arm whilst Will placed a hand on my shoulder reluctantly. I didn’t bother getting up; I’d only end up on the ground again.

I focussed on my living room, picturing it in as much detail as I could. I felt my face scrunch up with effort. A few seconds passed and I looked around confused. Why hadn’t we moved?

‘Looks like your freaky powers aren’t-‘Will was cut off with a thud as he fell onto the floor of my living room. Now it was my turn to smirk.

‘Looks like they are.’ I stated simply.

‘Mona, go back to my room and change back to your normal clothes,’ I pointed distractedly and she reached up, pulling the book to open the door.

I watched Will with narrowed eyes as he inspected the kitchen, thankfully not finding the knives.

Mona came out of the room and plopped on the floor, eyes scanning over the spines of novels, old and new. Will made himself at home on the couch and looked at me as if to ask something, but thought better of it. His soft snores slowly filled the room. I ran my fingers along the dusty novels, looking for one of the only two ‘useless’ books on the shelf. Really, they were the most useful, but the key to my bedroom door and the hollow book contained no words; only secrets, treasures and mystery. When I found it, it was all I could do not to rip it off the shelf and tear it open. Instead, terribly aware of how fragile the binding was, I pulled it out of the shelf.