Dont Wanna Believe (12)

Chapter 12

She looked at me, flabbergasted.

‘Y-Your funeral?’ She asked again and I nodded.

‘Will, I got you some clothes too. And I got some clothes for me. Not that that really matters.’ I mumbled and Mona looked around confused.

‘We’re going to your funeral! When is it?’

‘In two days. We can either catch a plane to England, or we can catch a plane to England.’ I said my voice thick with sarcasm for Will’s benefit.

‘But can’t you just do the thing like in the ocean when-‘

‘No Mona, I can’t. I don’t think I’d be able to cope with Will tagging along, so we’re taking an aeroplane. When we’re done here we’ll find an internet café and book tickets.’

‘Umm, listen, Daniel, I don’t know how to tell you this but it may be just slightly weird if Mona goes out looking like something from the corpse bride.’

‘You may be on to something, Mister Thornton. Now, If you’d let me finish what I was going to say, I would have said first you have to go buy some normal clothes for Mona, because I’m hopeless when it comes to that sort of thing.’ I finished with a glare but Will didn’t flinch.

‘Fine, give me that credit card,’ he held out his hand expectantly and I shook my head.

‘How can you not see why I keep calling you stupid? You never gave me the card back after checking into the hotel. You do still have it on you, don’t you?’ He shook his head and I walked over to him and slapped the back of his head. His hand went to the spot immediately and he exclaimed, ‘what was that for?!’

‘For being so stupid!’ I shouted back and Mona giggled. I gave her a look. ‘Yes Miss Lisa, because this is hilarious.’ I said sarcastically, but a good-natured smile found its way on my face and she giggled again.

‘You’re funny.’ She said shyly and I gave her another look.

‘I’m not funny. I’m hilarious.’ She giggled again and Will cleared his throat loudly, snapping Mon and I out of our faux argument. I coughed and nodded.

‘Well, did you find the credit card?’ I inquired and was answered with a piece of plastic hitting me in the face. ‘Well I guess that answered my question,’ I mumbled and Mona laughed again.

‘I’ll be back soon, sooner then you.’ Will started out of the room and I heard the door open, accompanied by a scream. Will’s scream sent me out into the hallway and I saw the old woman standing there, that stupid shawl woman from the church.

‘Did you not tell them about me Daniel? I thought I made it clear.’

From inside the room Mona wrapped her arms around my leg, burying her face in it. ‘How’s the old lady?’ She asked and I sighed.

‘Even I don’t know that.’ I mumbled and Will’s panicked shouts reached my ears.

‘How the h-hell are you? There’s no one by the name of Daniel here. No one!’ His voice rose and octave and I almost smirked at how nervous he was.

‘Will, take whatever she’s giving you and tell her to leave.’ The disbelief on his face was amusing and he looked terrified as he gingerly accepted a tattered book, a burnt piece of paper and a reasonable set of clothes for Mona.

‘I thought you might need some help. The clothes are for the little girl hiding in the room down the hall. That dress is far too conspicuous. Now, show the book and paper to Daniel and you can go from there. Also tell him to forget about his murderer. It’ll end in heartbreak and tears. Ciao.’ The woman waved and as Will nodded and closed the door he seemed to think of something at the last second.