Don't Wanna Believe (3)

3 years earlier

‘Let me go you pigs!’ I snarled as the beefy male officer locked cuffs on my wrists. I recalled my self-defence training, not put in practise since high school.

I lashed out with a vicious round-house kick but yet another officer grabbed me. I struggled, which made them move the cuffs an extra notch tighter.  I sagged in defeat. I let them lead me to the waiting police car. They shoved me roughly in the back, along with the other people who had help try to pull off the robbery.

As they drove us to the police station they did us no favors, speeding up over speed bumps and taking turns at a surely illegal speed. With no seatbelts most off us were on the floor by the end of the trip.

The pigs-I mean police hauled us out of the van and I was taken straight to questioning.

They locked me in the interrogation room and I waited in the stiff plastic chair. They hadn’t removed the handcuffs and my wrists were beginning to get sore from the strain.

After about 20 minutes a uniformed police officer came into the room. As she sat down opposite me my eyes widened in shock. It was Cecilia, my high school girlfriend. She smirked, seeing my surprise. I re-composed myself quickly and made my face blank, viod of all emotion.

Cecilia chuckled slightly.

‘Gosh Danny, your getting sloppy, aren’t you. You never got caught in high school. To be frank I’m surprised you’re here. I thought you’d given up all that stupid gjost nonsense years ago.’

I growled. ‘It’s not nonsense. I was so close to a breakthrough, things were rushed. I didn’t have time to be careful. But now the vase and the ring are gone, destroyed, by that stupid store owner.’ I stopped, my voice bristling with anger. I was so close, then that moron of a store owner had to destroy the vase, which the ring is useless without. And now I didn’t even know where the ring was.

‘Don’t you know it’s illegal to interrogate someone you know personally.’ I said, regaining my cool and switching to a calm, sarcastic façade.

‘But do I know you?’ She asked as she walked out. Before I had a chance to protest the key turned in the lock.

I slumped back in the chair and groaned. My wrists felt like they were about to fall off and I was busting for a piss.

Suddenly there was a loud clanging and my head turned toward the door. Cecilia came back in and sat down opposite me.

‘So now it isn’t recording we can talk.’ She scowled at me and I grinned back, flashing her a large, sarcastic smile.

‘Cut with the crap Daniel, we both know what this was really about. The robbery, the arrest. Even if your things are rushed, you are always careful. I was your partner in crime, remember.’ I flushed with memory. We spent hours poring over plans for thefts, robberies and heists, aiming to find that one item, the final puzzle piece, the answer to everything.

We never did find it.

Cecilia stood up and unlocked my handcuffs. I immediately brought my wrist to my lap and tried rubbing some feeling back into them. She turned and sat back down.

‘You know that this is a lot more serious then a petty theft. You could get charged with murder. If that old man dies, it’s going to be your head on the chopping block.’

 I hung my head in shame at her words. Someone might die because of me. I’d been the one with the knife. No one would believe me when I say it flew out of my hand and straight into the old mans stomach. I’d been standing at least two metres away, squaring off the old man and bam. It just…happened.

There’d been so much blood. Then the ambulance had taken him away and I was in the police van. I looked down shamefully at my hands, still covered in the old mans blood. It was beginning to dry and was sticky, itchy. The blood was all down my shirt as well.

Cecilia tutted.

‘Not like you to take a physical approach. I mean sure, a kick or punch if you were desperate, but a knife?’

She stared at me and her eyes narrowed. Her gaze sent a shiver through my body and made my blood run cold. MY eyes flickered to the handcuffs on the table in front of me. She had, very carelessly, left them lying open, unlocked and waiting to be used.

The gears in my mind turned slowly and I blocked out Cecilia’s pointless words, instead calculating how long it would take to neutralize her and slap the cuffs on.

A sharp call of my name snapped me out of my planning and I felt her blood-curling gaze staring me down.

Before she could react I grabbed the cuffs and lunged across the table. She was startled and had no time to react.

I pinned her down, pressing most of my weight down on her. I dragged her wrists behind her back and put the cuffs on, making them as tight as possible.

‘Don’t under estimate me pig. Remember rule one; never let your attention slip, not even for a second.’ I snarled into her ear and she hissed at me. After checking she was totally immobile I got up and walked out.

A cop gave me a funny look as I walked out the front door. I heard the low mummer of voices then someone running through the doors with a ‘Hey!’

I turned down the narrow lane way between two buildings and sprinted down, breaking into the sunshine at the other end. I made a quick turn right and cut across someone’s front lawn in my haste to get to the massive park on the other side. As I was about to step out of the garden sirens approached and I dived behind a large lavender bush which concealed me nicely. The flashing red and blue lights passed but I still waited a minute before coming out from my hiding spot.

‘Shit.’ I muttered as I walked quickly to the park. I practically sprinted to my special spot when it was within distance. Quickly settling on the bench by the lake I stared out across. Families with children we’re feeding the ducks stale bread and pushing each other on the swings. It’s times like these I wished that maybe, instead of doing my research, trying to prove I was right all along, that I settled down had a family. Of course, I was only 21, but by the looks of things finding information is going to take a long time.

I continued watching the lake, entranced by it’s beauty. Rain began to fall, disturbing the perfect surface of the lake. I continued sitting on my bench, even though I was saturated.

I looked over to the other side of the lake again. All but one of the families had left. The family still there had a four year old girl and were dancing in the rain, looking up at the sky and laughing. I tired looking away but my eyes kept moving back to the young girl.

A name came too me. Molly, Mindy…Mona! That was her name.

Unnerved by my inability to take my eyes of the girl I walekd home, praying the cops were gone.

*******************

Don’t worry, hes not a pedo.

I’ve cast Brendon Urie as him, from Panic! At the disco. He is :O

I don’t know any one for the girl….any suggestions?

V+C+F

Andy <3